The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Planted Tank Discussion (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   light question (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=223970)

ozzychas 01-24-2013 07:02 PM

light question

i have a 90 gal,heavy planted tank with co2 injection eco complete soil, 30 gal sump, question is i have a 8 bulb t5ho 54 wat each, each with own reflectors what kind of bulb combo should i use, right now i have 4 acentic and 3 10k and one full spectrum, anybody have the same setup or any sugestions on the subject thanks.

2Shi 01-24-2013 07:41 PM

Ultimately, there is no "ideal" bulb setup. Everybody has their own personal preferences on how they'd like their tanks to look.

I assume by "acentic" you are actually referring to "actinic". Actinic bulbs are generally more suited towards saltwater reefs but some people report having success using them on a flesh water planted setup. However, you would be best suited to get some dedicated 6700K lights in there if you're looking for plant growth. I would only use an Actinic bulb on my planted tank if I wanted that deepwater blue coloration.

norbot 01-24-2013 07:45 PM

Well I'm no expert but that sounds like a $h!t ton of light. I believe that those actinic bulbs are more suited towards reef aquariums. I think plants aren't too picky about specific wavelengths but the more light means more co2 and nutrients.

If you could balance 8 x 54w t5ho lighting with the appropriate amount of c02 and nutrients I'd reckon you'd see olympic gold medal type plant growth, but I implore you not to take my word for it ;)

2Shi 01-24-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norbot (Post 2338562)
Well I'm no expert but that sounds like a $h!t ton of light. I believe that those actinic bulbs are more suited towards reef aquariums. I think plants aren't too picky about specific wavelengths but the more light means more co2 and nutrients.

If you could balance 8 x 54w t5ho lighting with the appropriate amount of c02 and nutrients I'd reckon you'd see olympic gold medal type plant growth, but I implore you not to take my word for it ;)

I agree with you. I assume ozzychas is aiming for some ridiculous plant growth (or algae growth T.T).

@Ozzychas - Over 400W of T5HO lighting on a 90 gallon is A LOT. Keep in mind that the watts/gallon rule is inaccurate and shouldn't be used as a sole indicator of how much light you need. T12's are very inefficient, T8's are a little better, T5's are even better and T5HO's are really high powered. The watts/gallon rule would say you need approx 3-4watts/gallon for a heavily planted tank but 400W of T8 is COMPLETELY different from 400W of T5HO.

ozzychas 01-24-2013 08:40 PM

that is what i had them on my salt tank had bad luck with corals so i went with planted tank i like the way they looked ,the blue are in there because i knew that if i put all white lights it would be alot, so i have them on timers blue then white, then white off then blue, then moon lights on, blue looks cool at night.

2Shi 01-24-2013 09:01 PM

Yeah if you like the blue colors then you should keep a few blue actinic bulbs on there. However, keep in mind that plants also use light from the red spectrum to photosynthesize.

Also, those white lights you have are actually green light being emitted which is how we humans perceive brightness. However, plants are green because they reflect green light meaning that they do not use it at all. White lights = Makes your tank look bright and vibrant but does not aid in plant growth.

funkman262 01-24-2013 09:10 PM

The actinics should help promote more vegetative growth opposed to the leggy growth caused by red light. Blue light peaking at 450nm overlays several of the photosynthesizing pigments and has been shown to greatly improve plant growth. Having said that, using that many 6700K bulbs will provide plenty of light in the blue spectrum, but I would personally still use two of the actinics. You can also keep a couple 10,000K bulbs on there as well.