The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Lounge & Introductions (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Need or Desire for things, but lose interest afterwards? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=223538)

Kinection 01-24-2013 05:02 AM

Need or Desire for things, but lose interest afterwards?

I've been having desires to do things or want things, but after it's in reach or in my control, I lose the desire, but it comes back when I'm out of
"control". It's the thing that gets me excited, makes me want to wake up in
the morning, but when I get to it, the excitement just disappears. Is it
weird? For example, when I'm in school, I just want go home and watch
the baby shrimp swimming around the tank, but when I get home and
look at them for 30 or so minutes, the desire is gone. It comes back
the next day. It's like I lost total interest and couldn't care less.
Same with when I want to play CoD. Is it normal? Maybe it's just
puberty. :p
(I'm so random LOL)

Darkblade48 01-24-2013 06:36 AM

Sounds like the typical random desires/urges that any normal person has.

The older you get, the better you get at controlling those urges. Of course, some people have mid-life crises and then go out and buy a Porsche....:D

auban 01-24-2013 07:08 AM

completely normal. we all go through that at some point.

GraphicGr8s 01-24-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkblade48 (Post 2333882)

The older you get, the better you get at controlling those urges. Of course, some people have mid-life crises and then go out and buy a Porsche....:D

Or more tanks.

I did find an acrylic store system I want. 8' of sheer beauty.

scapegoat 01-24-2013 04:26 PM

you mean you lose interest in staring at shrimp after 30 minutes?

CoffeeLove 01-24-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scapegoat (Post 2336826)
you mean you lose interest in staring at shrimp after 30 minutes?

30 minutes is actually a long time to stare lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Nubster 01-24-2013 05:50 PM

I do this all the time. To keep it tank related, I'll see some wonderful stuff on the internet and want to do my version. I'll buy equipment, plants, get the decor, add livestock, be super excited and gungho for about a month or two then interest starts to fade and I start slipping on maintenance, then things go to crap and I just get rid of stuff. Eventually I'll get the urge again and start over. I'm running into that right now with my shrimp. I have an on and off cycle of interest with them. It's kinda on right now, I just spent hours the other day cleaning tanks, tore down two tanks and combined into one, cleaned up my main PFR tank...who knows how long it will last. Same with photography, mountain biking, road biking, pretty much every hobby I have. Just goes in cycles. Now, against better judgement, I'm starting to get the SW tank itch. I'm fighting that one with all my might since I don't really have the money for it, especially since I just bought a new camera and some lenses...I'm wiped out financially at the moment.

scapegoat 01-24-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoffeeLove (Post 2336882)
30 minutes is actually a long time to stare lol

exactly. between that and dull COD, I don't think OP is really complaining about anything.

bat_billy 01-24-2013 06:03 PM

I have heard it said that to truly enjoy a planted tank you have to enjoy the process of the tank. In other words it isn't about the new fangled gimmicks and equipment but about the act of watching things grow and thrive. It is also about enjoying the act (or challenge) of tank maintenance.

To extend this into everyday life.....I think we all get way to caught up in stuff and forget to just enjoy the moment and more importantly to enjoy our lives as a whole.
As we are laying on our death bed no one is going to long for a new eheim pump. We are going to long for time with our family and friends, we are going to wish we had seen the great barrier reef with our own eyes. It's the experiences that ultimatley make life worth living not things.

A.D.D.i.c.t. 01-24-2013 07:21 PM

I understand what you mean OP. I do the same thing with my hobbies, I'll obsess over something for a while. Still maintaining an interest in my other hobbies, but I'll have one in particular that I focus on at a time. Yes, 30 minutes is a long time to stare, so I don't think anything is wrong with you there, concentration wise. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, just enjoy life.

CPD 01-24-2013 07:24 PM

I'm exactly the same way with my shrimp. But for me it's getting more challenging shrimps, once the ones I have breed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DogFish 01-24-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bat_billy (Post 2337658)
I have heard it said that to truly enjoy a planted tank you have to enjoy the process of the tank. In other words it isn't about the new fangled gimmicks and equipment but about the act of watching things grow and thrive. It is also about enjoying the act (or challenge) of tank maintenance....

:proud:

Just before Christmas I was having a conversation with a rather self righteous dog rescue advocate. I mentioned I show my purebred dog to which I was admonished for participation in such a frivolous "Doggie Beauty Pageant ". I tried to explain that a show dog is only a show dog for 15 min when it's in the ring. The rest of the time it's a dog like any other dog. A show is the cumulation of hundreds of hours of training and conditioning. It's the process that's the hobby not the end results. In all candor if more people put that much energy into there dogs we would not need rescue shelters.

My point being enjoy the process.

Kinection 01-24-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPD (Post 2338330)
I'm exactly the same way with my shrimp. But for me it's getting more challenging shrimps, once the ones I have breed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh tell me about it. Been wanting to go to the LFS to get
more shrimp for awhile now....
The thing for this is, I just don't want to regret making those
choices... know what I mean? Like buying new shrimp/substrate/decor
on urges...
I guess I just need to control it, and no, I don't "stare for 30 minutes"
I do blink. LOL ;)

Contrl 01-25-2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkblade48 (Post 2333882)

Uh no.... a Ferrari....:icon_cool

Robotguy 01-25-2013 02:13 AM

I've found that, for me at least, it has to do with problem solving. When a problem is just complex enough to be interesting, I'm 100% interested. As soon as it seems to easy or to hard, I move on to something else. Over the (long, long, looooooong) years, I've eventually developed enough skills that the complexity sweet spot keeps getting more and more advanced. I haven't built a robot in years, because I can bang out a little desktop rover in a couple hours now and the complex stuff requires a PhD nowadays...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrl (Post 2342362)
Uh no.... a Ferrari....:icon_cool

Bah! A Lotus! :rolleyes:
http://robotguy.net/tn_rbotguy_elise.jpg