The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   CO2 Recipie (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=222754)

ronnie6989 01-23-2013 03:39 PM

CO2 Recipie

Just wanted to know what people are using as measurements for:
Sugar
yeast
Baking Soda

I am going to use a 2 liter bottle for the mix and a 1 liter as a trap before going to the 25 gal tank...

Tanks Ronnie :iamwithst

scapegoat 01-23-2013 03:45 PM

one part carbon to two parts oxygen usually does it for me

AnotherHobby 01-23-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbieplanter (Post 2327186)
I used 2 cups water, 2 cups sugar, 1/4 teaspoon yeast, 1/4 cup of 100 degree water for rehydrating/activating the yeast first. tmix i got from a site that was writen by John LeVasseur and all he talks about is DIY CO2 systems. Its called "A Treatise on DIY CO2 Systems for Freshwater-Planted Aquaria. GOOD LUCK! Hope this helps.

This is roughly what I used, except that I boiled it and added a 6oz jello to it. Then poured that into the 2L bottle and put it in the fridge over night. I used 1/2 tsp champagne yeast (very strong, will live to 18% alcohol) and activated it first.

My first mix lasted 3 weeks and then started to decline (but ran for another week). I added a second one to it in week 3. My second one is still going after a full month now. I have since re-mixed the first one that was running out. So essentially I'm running 2 and just swap one out each month once the jello is almost out.

The jello slows down the yeast and the the champagne type will live lots longer. Thus I have to swap it far less often.

scapegoat 01-23-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbieplanter (Post 2328690)
Where do u get the champagne yeast from?

any home brewing supplier

AnotherHobby 01-23-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbieplanter (Post 2328690)
Where do u get the champagne yeast from?

What skapegoat said. Also, the best champagne yeast for our purposes is Lalvin EC-1118. It has the highest alcohol resistance 18%. For reference, baking yeast dies around 4.5% I believe.

AirstoND 01-24-2013 12:04 AM

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

newbieplanter 01-24-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbieplanter (Post 2327186)
I used 2 cups water, 2 cups sugar, 1/4 teaspoon yeast, 1/4 cup of 100 degree water for rehydrating/activating the yeast first. tmix i got from a site that was writen by John LeVasseur and all he talks about is DIY CO2 systems. Its called "A Treatise on DIY CO2 Systems for Freshwater-Planted Aquaria. GOOD LUCK! Hope this helps.

Sorry at the time I wrote this I didn't use the mix yet but I did last night an for the third time it was a waste of time didn't work at all the other mixes I tried atleast got bubbles in the counter but nothing in the tank I started it last night at about 12:00am an at 5:00am nothing!!!! Ill have my wife look again at 7:00 or so but I know the outcome any my advice get a CO2 tank and call it a day this bull don't work I had one mix start then it started to overflow in the counter that was the close I got. So anyone sellin a CO2 system let me know??????????

newbieplanter 01-25-2013 12:27 PM

Ok what I did was take the off the bubble counter I just hope it's safe I see quite a few people do it like that? So I guess the mix woks.

herns 05-20-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherHobby (Post 2329034)
What skapegoat said. Also, the best champagne yeast for our purposes is Lalvin EC-1118. It has the highest alcohol resistance — 18%. For reference, baking yeast dies around 4.5% I believe.

I change my mixture for my 2g weekly and Ive been using Lalvine EC-1118. But recently I tried Fischman Rapid rise and could start fermenting fast and very active for the whole week.