The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   tetras attacking my new crs (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=220905)

pirayaman 01-21-2013 10:25 PM

tetras attacking my new crs

what the heck put in 25 beautyful crs yesterday and immediatly my neon/rummynose/and 3 other types of tetras start swarming like they are piranhas i had to defend with a net several times. the crs were bite sized. does any body know how to stop this im about to ditch all this fish. no body messes with baby crs nobody. and just saw it again a real small one ventured out into hc and wham idk if they got him but he disipeared

mordalphus 01-21-2013 10:26 PM

Fish and shrimp don't mix. I don't know what made you think that was a good idea.

Shrimp are a fishes natural food source.

Soothing Shrimp 01-21-2013 10:31 PM

Shrimp are about as low on the food chain as you can go. Fish are predators. Many people who keep shrimp have shrimp only tanks. Otherwise $$$ become sushi.

pirayaman 01-21-2013 10:33 PM

this sucks. these tetras are fast. how fast you ask. real fast. gonna be some kinda horrible fun catching them all maybe a morning sneak attack. do you thing i could still have a decent survival rate with a taller ground cover to hide the shrimps?

shift 01-21-2013 10:35 PM

Stick to fish with shrimp. the biggest ones in my tank are neons.. (which i have only seen one take a nip at a shrimp once)

MABJ 01-21-2013 10:36 PM

If you were under the impression fish like that would work well with shrimp, I'd be interested in your parameters and all that jazz.

sbarbee54 01-21-2013 10:41 PM

Nope those are 100% fish food no mater what ground cover or hiding spots you have. Make it a shrimp tank or a fish tank.

mordalphus 01-21-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shift (Post 2309129)
Stick to fish with shrimp. the biggest ones in my tank are neons.. (which i have only seen one take a nip at a shrimp once)

Unfortunately once the fish figure out how good shrimp taste, they will not stop eating them.

I had cherries with my rose line sharks and ember tetras for about 8 months before they figured out how a shrimp tastes. Guess what, 2 days later there were zero shrimp left. Haha.. About 500 or more cherries gone overnight after 8 months of peace.

pirayaman 01-21-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MABJ (Post 2309161)
If you were under the impression fish like that would work well with shrimp, I'd be interested in your parameters and all that jazz.

ok
ph-idk
kh-idk
gh-idk
co2 level-idk
and idk to the rest

seriously
cherry reds berried and seen babies
ghost shrimp berried and babys
crs berried - idk cause these

co2 gives me low ph
plants and cycle gives me 0 for nitrates amm and everything else
temp is 75
shrimp all molt so idk seems preety good

wanted diversity in tank hence 4 types shrimp /snails/ 4 types tetras/ endlers live bearers/ otos

MABJ 01-21-2013 10:49 PM

Lol that post meant you aren't ready for CRS.

pirayaman 01-21-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MABJ (Post 2309337)
Lol that post meant you aren't ready for CRS.

dont the crayfish eat the shrimp?

i got crs cause i like the look not really into going nuts over my water. so i dont
they all are alive and berried and molting they eat alge i got plenty of that hahah. i figure if i get enough. the ones that survive will be strong. but so far havent had any shrimp die just the dam fish attacking them.

i do my water changes.

MABJ 01-21-2013 10:56 PM

I truly can't say anything but best of luck.

sbarbee54 01-21-2013 11:01 PM

My quotes exactly, best of luck. You should know your water conditions no matter what you have in the tanks. Fish shrimp or anything. Helps identify issues and if you can keep types of fish and inverts together.

Good luck sounds like you might be throwing money away.

pirayaman 01-21-2013 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
just a pick of my crs good looking right

pirayaman 01-21-2013 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and another