The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   New tank for Chocolate Shrimp (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=220201)

Rob in Puyallup 01-21-2013 04:59 AM

New tank for Chocolate Shrimp

I know our forum has been here a hundred times before, but I'd like to get the most current information...

What is the best type of substrate for a cherry shrimp tank, the Chocolate version in particular?

I have UP Shrimp Sand, but thinking that's best to reserve for crystals.

Thanks!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

jlieu 01-21-2013 06:44 AM

Asked a similar question a week or two ago...

Same as RCS, any thing inert would work just fine for cherry types (including chocolates)...

Some still claim that they will get darker against a dark substrate. However, given that it would difficult to see them (IMO), I went with PFS for a better contrast. So far, they look good. :D

Rob in Puyallup 01-21-2013 07:15 AM

As I suspected, then. I've been keeping them with a mixture of every shrimp in my Fluval Ebi which has FSS as the substrate, keeping the pH quite low.

Thinking it's time to separate these from the rest.

Thanks!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/21/u2u9umy3.jpg

wicca27 01-21-2013 02:26 PM

that is one heck of a dark shrimp

Rob in Puyallup 01-21-2013 03:38 PM

She's absolutely gorgeous! Gonna get every one of them and put em in their own tank.

Rob in Puyallup 01-21-2013 03:40 PM

Oh, I've ordered some Safe T Sorb to use as substrate in this tank.

Rob in Puyallup 01-23-2013 02:12 AM

Lordy, that was quick. The Safe T Sorb arrived this morning. Didn't know it, but the vendor is local, less than 20 miles away!

wicca27 01-23-2013 02:42 AM

cool do a journal i want to see this tank set up. i have not used that for a substrate but heard it was good for plants

MABJ 01-23-2013 02:59 AM

Are all your chocolates this dark??? If so where did you get them?

Rob in Puyallup 01-23-2013 04:55 AM

Lol! I ain't no writer and I tend to a bit of a dork, but may journal it.

I did pick up a ten gallon tank tonight, will see if I can squeeze in the time to set it up tomorrow.

Once it's up and running I have to try to catch all (about 10, give or take) of the black chocolates.

MABJ: To answer your question... Nope, some are dark red, some arrived a nice blue color but changed to black when they settled in my tanks. A pH thing, perhaps.

These guys are currently in two tanks, some in the Ebi, the others in the hex, pH is low, were set up originally for crystals.

I purchased them as two groups from Cookymonster760 several months ago.

MABJ 01-23-2013 05:03 AM

Ahhhh he has a good thing going on with these.

An amazing blue breeding project I think he still has going on.

Thanks for answering my question :)

Bananariot 01-23-2013 02:17 PM

Uh I went with FSS cause it was cheap and I have amazon prime, I got all the dark chocolates berried already. I'm thinking about mixing fluval plant in.

Like other neos besides yellows, these guys are tough as nails and can breed in anything.

I got my stock from Cooky too a while back

Gilly 01-23-2013 02:25 PM

I definitely want some of those chocolates if anyone knows where to get the.. Awesome dark color!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Puddles 01-23-2013 03:00 PM

Those are really cool shrimp. Can't believe they're neos.

Bananariot 01-23-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilly (Post 2326018)
I definitely want some of those chocolates if anyone knows where to get the.. Awesome dark color!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I would check the swap and shop and search chocolate shrimp. Also aquabid also will do the trick.