The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/)
-   -   Breeder boxes and selective breeding a ? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/219953-breeder-boxes-selective-breeding.html)

ravensgate 01-21-2013 01:37 AM

Breeder boxes and selective breeding a ?

For those that run breeder boxes on their tanks, do you run them all the time and just put in your pairs when the time comes or do you tear them down and reset them up when you are ready for certain breeding pairs? Got a female I want to selectively breed on her next molt and wonder if I should go ahead and set up now (she molted today). Also, this will be on a rimless acrylic so wondering if folks have photos of their setups on these, if they just prop a box under the box or what to keep pressure off the tank. Thanks in advance!

wicca27 01-21-2013 01:58 AM

i would think that if she molted today then she is probably already knocked up if there are males in the tank

ravensgate 01-21-2013 02:46 AM

No, I watched her molt start to finish, no males dancing. And there are 6 males in the tank. She has a saddle but it's about small medium size. She wasn't ready and it was clear by no dancing in the tank. Hence why I asked the question. I've got probably 2 weeks to get something set up for her:)

Rob in Puyallup 01-21-2013 02:53 AM

"knocked up" Love it! :D

wicca27 01-21-2013 02:31 PM

i would say get it up and her in it then. that way you know for sure its the male you want with her and as soon as she has the next molt will be no question to who the father is. if the population is small i dont see a prob with just letting them live in the box. i alway keep mine going be it for shrimp or fish. almost like another filter when you stuff it full of moss and filter fiber

Soothing Shrimp 01-21-2013 04:33 PM

[QUOTE=wicca27;2304561...almost like another filter when you stuff it full of moss and filter fiber[/QUOTE]

What a neat concept. I never thought of that!

wicca27 01-21-2013 05:52 PM

kinda like a sump for a reef tank sand and critters in it to help the bioload. right now mine has baby philippine blue angel babies and its on the 55. in a coupel weeks it will be back in the shrimp area for a while

sbarbee54 01-21-2013 06:18 PM

I keep my breeder boxes on the whol time in the tanks I have them on. I have micro pumps feeding them so nothing gets stagnet. A air pump and sponge is not enough to drive them in my opinion

ravensgate 01-21-2013 08:52 PM

I've got the Elite Hagen mini filter, so these won't be air pump driven. :) Thanks for the tips folks, I'll go ahead and get it set up this weekend!

sbarbee54 01-21-2013 09:14 PM

That is the pump I use, and a small sponge filter inside for bacterial purposes and it works great

ravensgate 01-21-2013 10:38 PM

Awesome! Thank you!

Bananariot 01-21-2013 11:12 PM

What size breeder box are u gonna use? I imagine the medium would be fine for the rimless. Sine I have nematodes these boxes usually become a haven for them so I tear them down every time. Also I think they take away from the purpose if a rimless tank xD

Bananariot 01-21-2013 11:16 PM

I've also noticed no matter I have a manual pp like the elite or a air pump default babies always manage to make it into the box >.> so watch them cartully

ravensgate 01-21-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananariot (Post 2310313)
What size breeder box are u gonna use? I imagine the medium would be fine for the rimless. Sine I have nematodes these boxes usually become a haven for them so I tear them down every time. Also I think they take away from the purpose if a rimless tank xD

I've got two mediums but was going to pick up a large at some point. The tank this is going on the side of is a 3 gallon Kritter Keeper type thing (same basic thing, different brand) so no way am I putting it on there as far as letting the weight of the breeder pull on that tank. I'll have a box under that one for sure. For the Mr Aqua 12G rimless it would probably be fine on that one, but still not positive.

ravensgate 01-21-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananariot (Post 2310361)
I've also noticed no matter I have a manual pp like the elite or a air pump default babies always manage to make it into the box >.> so watch them cartully

Yeah, seeing as how they make it into my HOB on the other tank even with a sponge prefilter on there, I will be watching that like a hawk:smile: