The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My Rainforest Creek - Fluval 12g (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219761)

Pukki 01-20-2013 10:34 PM

My Rainforest Creek - Fluval 12g

Hi guys,

Finally decided to share with you my very own journey of recreating a little piece of an Australian rainforest that I discovered on a recent trip.

I was trying to recreate the imagery that I saw whilst on a bush walk and this is my interpretation.

I hope you enjoy my first foray in a planted tank (learnt so much from reading all the forums posts and appreciate the community and the vast knowledge available here that has helped me a great deal). I look forward to your comments and suggestions that you may have.

As you can see I have a Fluval 12 gallon tank and I've not made any modifications to it whatsoever. If there are any improvements I can make to it (with minimal DIY), especially in regards to making my plants thrive do let me know.

Pukki 01-20-2013 10:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Starting the process. Put down the substrate. 9 litres of Oliver Knott soil.

Pukki 01-20-2013 11:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Process underway...

koumchev 01-21-2013 12:50 AM

Good start, attractive driftwood as long I can see well placed in the tank. What is your plans for flora and fauna. Will be flooded tank or riparium. Bare in mind that the soil is very nutricious so wihout plants to use them will be algae bloom. Good luck with ur project

Pukki 01-21-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koumchev (Post 2300089)
Good start, attractive driftwood as long I can see well placed in the tank. What is your plans for flora and fauna. Will be flooded tank or riparium. Bare in mind that the soil is very nutricious so wihout plants to use them will be algae bloom. Good luck with ur project

Thank you for your response. It is a flooded tank with plenty of plants. I've already planted it and just waiting for things to clear up. I think I'm having issues with my filter. It is spitting most of the particles of soil out again which is settling on the plants, making it look messy.

The plants consist of low tech plants. Mostly crypts, ferns, mosses, anubias and a few other species. I forgot their name but I have the little tickets they came with in the pot so I will get back to you with that one.

One type of plant I am missing is a carpet plant which I'd really like. I haven't gone down the co2 route. Recently I bought a Fluval 88g Co2 kit. I find it a little daunting and I'm never home at the same time in order to turn the co2 on at a consistent time everyday. So far I dose Flourish Excel as a liquid co2. I'm totally new so still finding my way around it all. In an ideal world I'd love to grow HC on the bottom but I guess it will need way more light and co2 as well.

Any suggestions for a small carpet plant will be great!

I'll have plenty of pics up soon.

Thanks.

Pukki 01-22-2013 10:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey,

Just thought I'd give you an update as to how my tank came along.

This is what it is looking like as of tonight. Since I planted it, it has had gone through a few tweaks and I am still not happy with it. I feel I need a carpet plant and the plant that is on the right side of the tank (looks a bit cabomba-ish) was an impulse purchase and a bit out of place I think. Problem is I think it looks really pretty but it just doesn't fit in there.

I had HC in there as well initially that seemed to be doing for a week or so, though I left them in the pot but as soon as I took them out of the pots, cut them up they went downhill from there.

Would love to know what you think and suggestions for improvements will be very very welcome.

Thanks!

Ps, I initially bought 3 shrimps. The golden one didn't make it as my journey from the LFS to the house was a little much for them as it was snowing. I now have a Cherry Shrimp and a Blue Tiger shrimp, both of whom I love. The little red guy was on his side, about to die but came back to life!

Pukki 01-22-2013 10:40 PM

And one last thing, I was hoping that the hairgrass on the bottom right foreground portion would take off after a trimming but it was done nothing. It's been ages. I think I will chuck them out. Or do they need something that I'm missing?

vasol 01-23-2013 06:34 AM

you should separate the hairgrass into smaller clumps, usually 5 pieces per clump is a good number

jhays79 01-23-2013 10:39 AM

What substrate are you using?

Pukki 01-23-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasol (Post 2324906)
you should separate the hairgrass into smaller clumps, usually 5 pieces per clump is a good number

I had no idea about that. I actually halved them. They were actually a lot bushier and longer. I'll upload a pic of them of what they looked previously.

Thanks for the tip.

Pukki 01-23-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhays79 (Post 2325234)
What substrate are you using?

I'm using Oliver Knott aqua soil as the base substrate. I initially wanted to use that on its own. But after I put the water in, realised that it looked like rabbit poop so I then put a layer of ADA Aquasoil II Amazonia. Had a huge Ammonia spike when I did that and water went all disgustingly muddy. I'd love to put the ADA Powder Type on top as I want it to be very fine and fun for my shrimp to walk on, but I don't want Ammonia and dirty looking water again.

Pukki 01-23-2013 11:57 AM

I'm going to add some Pogostemon Helferi on the bottom right and perhaps throw the grass out as it looks a little awkward there. What do you guys think?

jhays79 01-23-2013 03:38 PM

Looks great!

redsea 01-24-2013 02:00 AM

Looks fantastic! :proud:

Pukki 01-26-2013 01:11 AM

Thanks guys!!

I'll definitely upload some pics.

I'm considering getting some Christmas moss and carpeting the entire front of the tank with it. So far I only have a clump of it on the left hand side in the corner.

Also, my golden apple snail was a beautiful golden colour when I first bought him but now he's gone all pale all of a sudden and isn' as golden as he used to be. Does anyone know why? I read it's something to do with the water hardness. If I don't act upon it, does it mean I'll lose him?