The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Tankmates for Betta? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=217841)

Elliriyanna 01-18-2013 10:23 PM

Tankmates for Betta?

I have just one Betta boy in a 5 gallon hex I plan to plant soon.

I was just wondering if anything could live with him ... Its not a big deal if they can't I Just thought it might be interesting my bright blue/green boy with a little " friend"

@marko@ 01-18-2013 10:30 PM

large amano shrimps. RCS sometimes; i wouldnt risk it. i had one betta die, choked on a RCS he tried to swallow whole. snails.
there are fish that can do fine with bettas, but they are schooling fish, and your tank isnt big enough for a school of them and a betta.

ValMM 01-18-2013 10:42 PM

I agree with snails, especially if it turns out your boy is fish aggressive.
My boy was aggressive and I could keep only snails with him.
Just make sure he's not eating the eyestalks.

Elliriyanna 01-18-2013 10:43 PM

I wouldn't want to try a school with him I really want him to be the centerpiece :) Would an Apple Snail be ok? They come in some pretty colors and I believe I have ample filtration.

ValMM 01-18-2013 10:52 PM

They get large, so make sure your plants can handle their weight. And they eat a lot. Algae wafers and veggies galore!

l8nite 01-18-2013 11:02 PM

My betta coexists with a pair of shrimp and a pair of nerites without issue. He flares up at the snails every once in awhile but no damage to date.

Elliriyanna 01-18-2013 11:34 PM

What would I need to Feed the snail? Any brands you guys like? I only feed Finn Omega one ... Would Hikari Algae wafers be ok?

l8nite 01-19-2013 12:01 AM

Honestly I only drop like 20% of a hikari wafer in there once a week or so, an I'm pretty sure the shrimp eat most of that.

sejoy 01-19-2013 12:04 AM

Algae wafers are fine, That's what I feed my snails. In a small tank I would break them up instead of using whole ones, they don't eat a lot and it gets messy if it's left out for too long. Also I believe blanched veggies like zucchini and cucumber are good too.

Elliriyanna 01-19-2013 12:07 AM

LOL My rats will love me having even more veggies in the house. Oh I rarely if ever feed more than 1/4 of a wafer

@marko@ 01-19-2013 12:22 AM

my betta sorority has a nerite. never fed him, and i had him for over a year.
it also has a colony of RCS, but its got tons of moss, so thats the only way some shrimplets make it. the girls ignore the adults completely though. but like i mentioned in my earlier post, that is not always the case, and can end badly.

wendyjo 01-19-2013 05:15 AM

If you break up an algea wafer the betta will eat it.

okapizebra 01-19-2013 01:08 PM

I have a bunch of ghost shrimp and a pair of nerites in my betta's 5 gallon. Although the shrimp have slowly been disappearing...

uberape 01-19-2013 01:26 PM

i wouldnt bother in a five gallon it will only end in heartbreak, but every betta is different they say. if you do try it keep the betta in another container for a few days then add him to the tank with his new friend already there. i would only try snails or shrimp. i had a betta that forced 4 cherry shrimp to jump out of the tank in suicide. I think the best tankmates are those that have 'play dead' defences like banjo catfish and khuli loaches but youll need 15g for them and plenty hiding spots.

okapizebra 01-19-2013 01:54 PM

Bettas will work with a school of tetras, but you'll need at least a 10 gallon for that, though.