The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Michigan (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Shrimpers (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=217377)

Maechael 01-18-2013 01:46 PM

Shrimpers

Hello all, Few questions.

1. I'm trying to gauge how many shrimp breeders we have around here, as in the state of Michigan.

2. Any locals feeling sharing? I'd love some info from people dealing with CRS/RCS/CBS in the midmichigan area specifically.

3. Anyone currently selling lower grade stock, or culls from said breeding programs? I'm really interested in acquiring some shrimp in the near future.

Thanks to any and all who respond, and Also, info on any shrimp is more than welcome, not just the types listed.

tunerz 01-18-2013 06:05 PM

I'm from Lansing if you are interested in shrimps

Maechael 01-18-2013 06:14 PM

Lansing in interest

Definitely interested, PM any info you'd be willing to share about what types you keep, conditions etc.

And any info on availability of stock if you're a breeder/seller.

Or post here if open to everyone seeing it.

Duckmasta 01-25-2013 04:57 AM

I'm slowly going to get into the shrimp breeding game once I get my house renovations complete (couple monthes from now at the current rate/funds allowance). Currently i have Fire Red Cherry in my tanks that ill give a seperate 4, or 5.5 that I have to breed them in. Right now though i do have a 20 that is shrimp only so maybe that will give me a good colony started here once I get a heater for it tomorrow to promote them to breed.

crazydog64 01-25-2013 12:40 PM

I wouldn't say I'm full on breeding but my OEBT's are reproducing and hopefully I'll have a nice swarm.

Maechael 01-26-2013 12:39 AM

Interesting on both.

Most of the shrimpers I've found around here seem to have 1 or 2 breeds.
I'm definitely interested in the Invertebrate section of the hobby.

Would love to find someone who has a nice selection for sale at some point soon.
Would love to start slow with some Cherry shrimp or CRS see how they do.

Haven't heard too much about the less hardy species in Michigan though.

crazydog64 01-29-2013 12:54 PM

Well the tap water around me comes out and a pretty high PH so if you wanted to do any of the more delicate bee species you would really need to buffer it down quite a bit with soil and/or a RO/DI system, which for me being in an apartment really does not work well.

Maechael 01-31-2013 10:24 AM

Apartment life

I can understand limitations on abilities in the enclosed space of an apartment.

I've considered more or less the keeping of CRS/CBS which seem to be the easiest, or maybe even some cherries.

I've considered the tap water, with distilled water to break down a bit.
or maybe going to an area LFS in between for RO/DI water.

Would love to hear more from people in the area about keeping shrimp.

GMYukonon24s 02-01-2013 12:02 AM

My first shrimp were RCS which for some reason I was having a problem keeping alive. So I was freaking out, it seemed to me that they were all going to die but luckily I was able to keep a few alive and now I have small colony of RCS. I don't really change the water in the tank that much I top off the water and let them be. I've recently kept a few sakura and rilis.

Maechael 02-04-2013 05:37 PM

Shrimp

I'd love to make a full on shrimp tank out my empty 15G after I de-rim the top.

perfect setup from what I've seen is Fluval shrimp stratum, sponge filter, good feeding schedule, and keeping water as clear and clean as possible.

And some ferns/mosses to keep fed between feedings.

What I could afford is more like, bare bottom, some algae covered rocks and a crap ton of hornwort haha.

I really want to get something more than Ghost shrimp once I Have the money to be able to do so properly.

zoo minsi 02-08-2013 02:45 PM

working on increasing my small colony of blue velvets right now. I'm trying to figure out if i want to add a few more shrimp tanks or not. I like the orange neo's, oebt, and low grade crs. figure theres no rush just yet still to cold for my liking to order any more shrimp. maybe in the spring.

GMYukonon24s 02-08-2013 02:57 PM

Do you use r/o water for your blue velvets?

Maechael 02-08-2013 06:48 PM

Shrimp

I've found that DKshrimporium, has some wonderful information, and or funny stuff to share in most of her Threads.

But especially DK's M.A.D.D.O.I.N.G.s thread.

She is a magnificent shrimp keeper.

And very creative/insane.

I'm really thinking about grabbing some RCS next time I see some at any LFS I'd visit. Wishing my local LFS stocked FW shrimp.

GMYukonon24s 02-08-2013 07:33 PM

I seen some at Stingray Bay yesterday. They had Red Cherries $3.98, Sakura $5.98 and Sunkist(Orange) $5.98.

Maechael 02-08-2013 07:36 PM

My nearest places are something fishy in Clio, and OOPS in Saginaw. neither one of which stocks good looking shrimp, on any kind of regular basis. Sadly.

Thanks for the heads up though.