Overdosing ferts in plant only tank
What are the repercussions of overdosing ferts (NPK and micro) in a plant only tank? For instance, if one followed standard EI dosing, but skipped the 50% water change for 2 or 3 weeks, would there be negative effects on the plants? This is also assuming the tank has adequate CO2 and high lighting.
None on the plants, you can graph the outcome id you use Wet's graphing EI calculator:
Hydroponics often goes much richer than what we dose, but upper ranges in the 80-100 ppm are not suggested, still, that's a huge target to hit.
You shoukld be able to figure out from there, CO2/light are the main drivers, so if you use LESS light, then if you have LESS plant biomass, eg, say all hairgrass, then you can dose much less than EI, and also have much less build up, thus less/fewer water changes.
I would advise doing many water changes, 2-3x a week till you get a good feel for any tank however, THEN....reduce water changes, dosing etc.
Anecdotal knowledge says nothing for 2-3 weeks other than plant growth might get crummy. Too much longer and things start to crash in my tank (lack of something stops growth and algae starts up).
I have lots of fish in mine, never had much of an issue w/ the fish either.
My biggest issues are when a filter clogs or a large fish dies and I don't realize it (3" pleco in the back). Then I've got a big nutrient dump.
Keep an eye on the algae and the plants, if they do something different, do a WC.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 07:56 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.