The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Substrate (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What's the point of Flourite/Eco if tabs have to be added? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=216082)

Java Moss 01-17-2013 03:12 AM

What's the point of Flourite/Eco if tabs have to be added?
 
Have been googling around the web lately as I am considering once again on substrate - Flourite or Eco - and have read that many users of it strongly recommend root tabs in addition to those two substrates.

Why in the heck would Flourite or Eco be worth the trouble if it needs tabs? Supposedly, they contain the elements in Florurish tabs already.

Seems like a big waste of money if I purchase $100 worth of substrate just to keep running out every two months for a box of Flourish tabs like I did when I was growing crypts and swords in regular pet store gravel.

Somebody, please explain or clarify if I am missing something.

vnghost 01-17-2013 03:26 AM

For 40 bucks you can buy 1000 gel caps and a jug of osmocote plus and make your own root tabs way better than the flourish tabs. All substrates have their advantage and disadvantage. Eco complete is inert minus the water it's packaged in, high cec. Lets you take advantage of what you want to put into your substrate


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenderBendingRodriguez 01-17-2013 04:09 AM

From my understanding these substrates have high CEC (cation exchange capacity), i.e. the substrate is able to hold onto ferts that you put into the water column and since the substrate is holding onto these ferts it makes your substrate more fertile. I don't think it's indefinite, but I think that it kind of acts as a buffer so if you were to not fertilize for a few days your plants wouldn't get hungry. At least that's how I understand it.

Plus I think flourite looks nice for whatever that's worth.

GOJIRADOR 01-17-2013 05:00 AM

Ive had success growing dwarf hair grass, HC, rotala and ludwigia in flourite with out the addition of ferts so I dont think it has to have tabs

Java Moss 01-18-2013 01:55 AM

Thanks folks.

Spoke to a LFS owner who grows low maintenance plants and he said "Tabs are necessary as a stop gap until the roots take hold of the substrate. One box should be fine"

That sounds do-able. So, I ordered 5 bags of black flourite for the same price sold on M.D. Pick them up on Tuesday.

Hopefully it'll be okay for my dojos. I figure if regular pet store gravel doesn't bang up their barbels, then Flourite shouldn't either.

somewhatshocked 01-18-2013 02:36 PM

Root tabs aren't just necessary until the plants take root. They're necessary if you want to provide nutrients to your plants throughout the life of your tank. Typically every 2-3 months you'll have to apply them. However, with a high CEC substrate, you'll likely be able to apply fewer root tabs because the substrate will absorb some nutrients and begin to release them.

Flourite is rather soft, so it should be fine for their barbels.

TexasCichlid 01-18-2013 03:16 PM

Eco-Complete has no nutrients. It has room for the storage of nutrients, though.

DogFish 01-18-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2278009)
Root tabs aren't just necessary until the plants take root. They're necessary if you want to provide nutrients to your plants throughout the life of your tank.....

:proud::proud:

"What's the point of Flourite/Eco if tabs have to be added?" That's why I use dirt.

Shimagoma 01-18-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Java Moss (Post 2274041)
Thanks folks.

Spoke to a LFS owner who grows low maintenance plants and he said "Tabs are necessary as a stop gap until the roots take hold of the substrate. One box should be fine"

That sounds do-able. So, I ordered 5 bags of black flourite for the same price sold on M.D. Pick them up on Tuesday.

Hopefully it'll be okay for my dojos. I figure if regular pet store gravel doesn't bang up their barbels, then Flourite shouldn't either.

florite is cracked clay and is very sharp you should put sand or mix it with some gravel if you have barbel fish going over it, like corys



http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod.../Flourite.html
shows you whats in it. It has def helped with my plants in general. I dont use tabs i just use liquid/powder foods

m00se 01-18-2013 06:16 PM

Not necessary. Have you seen the native habitats of these fish?

HD Blazingwolf 01-18-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimagoma (Post 2279945)
florite is cracked clay and is very sharp you should put sand or mix it with some gravel if you have barbel fish going over it, like corys



http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod.../Flourite.html
shows you whats in it. It has def helped with my plants in general. I dont use tabs i just use liquid/powder foods

it has lots of stuff in it, about 1% is actually accessable to plants, the rest is baked into i never to be seen
i've kept delicate barbelled fish with flourite that never had an issue

Knotyoureality 01-18-2013 09:59 PM

Yep, I moved my corys from polished aquarium gravel onto flourite and--in direct constrast to all the claims of the damage it'd do--their barbels are longer and in better condition than they've ever been before.

jhays79 01-18-2013 10:52 PM

100 bucks for substrate? I think I will stick to 6 dollar bags of organic dirt.

Diana 01-19-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Why in the heck would Flourite or Eco be worth the trouble if it needs tabs?
For the same reason you have dinner plates and add food as needed.

m00se 01-19-2013 01:22 AM

http://home.infinet.net/teban/jamie.htm


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.