The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Wisconsin (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Howdy from Middleton (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=215578)

Aquaticus 01-16-2013 06:16 PM

Howdy from Middleton

Hey fellow Wisconsinites,

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 10 year absence. I bought a 65 gallon a couple of weekends ago, and have it cycling while I pick up parts for a high-tech setup including some T5HOs and CO2. It sure has been interesting to see the differences a decade makes, including the impact that CFLs and T5s has had. Hard to believe that people aren't using MH or VHOs much anymore. I hope my Ice Caps will drive my T5HOs OK.

Anyone have any tips for plants or livestock in the Madison area? As a west sider, I'm familiar with Living Art, but they seem pretty salt water focused.

Aquaticus

Hmoobthor 01-18-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquaticus (Post 2259722)
Hey fellow Wisconsinites,

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 10 year absence. I bought a 65 gallon a couple of weekends ago, and have it cycling while I pick up parts for a high-tech setup including some T5HOs and CO2. It sure has been interesting to see the differences a decade makes, including the impact that CFLs and T5s has had. Hard to believe that people aren't using MH or VHOs much anymore. I hope my Ice Caps will drive my T5HOs OK.

Anyone have any tips for plants or livestock in the Madison area? As a west sider, I'm familiar with Living Art, but they seem pretty salt water focused.

Aquaticus

reasearch on the type of plants u wanted since ur going for t5HO..and co2..

Troxey 01-18-2013 11:29 PM

I know a lot of people have negative feelings about big box stores, but I've had really good results with the Petsmart right across the street from living art. Their tanks and fish look clean, and I've had no problems with the fish I've gotten there. I can't remember what they have for plants though. Some Petsmarts seemed to have phased out their plant offereings other than the plants in a plastic container. Living art does seem to have a decent amount of plants.

I haven't been here very long, but welcome to the forum and welcome back to fishkeeping!!

Madsci 01-20-2013 09:03 PM

Pet world has probably the best selection of fish and plants in town. I'd recommend the pet supermarket too. Check out the Madison aquarium gardeners club too. There's a monthly meeting - lots of great advice and I came home with four bags of plants this last week.

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android

Hurley427 01-21-2013 02:55 PM

Im from arena(30 min out), Im just getting back into the hobby too after 5 years. Even shrimp prices and selection has changed alot. Im hoping to do some local buying and trading with some locals in the future.

Aquaticus 01-21-2013 05:32 PM

Just took the kids to Pet World, and I was pretty impressed. Large selection. Decent prices. I have to say that in the ten years I've been gone, prices have gone up quite a bit, especially for entry level stuff. No more 2 for 1 zebra danios.

DBlauj 02-19-2013 04:08 AM

Pet World has probably got the biggest selection on both fish and plants. I agree with Troxey on Petsmart on the west side of town. All the fishes I've gotten there have been great. Tanks are well kept (to my surprise), fish look healthy and they have a 14 day guarantee on their livestock. Can't beat that.