The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   ugh, I thought they were dead. Opinions needed (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=214874)

dreamwallaby 01-15-2013 11:18 PM

ugh, I thought they were dead. Opinions needed

so I had added 5 red cherries to the tank and I know 3 died, I saw bodies. at least one died after molting and I think the second did as well. so I decided to try again. I added 2 red cherry and 2 fire. they started to go missing and I figured they too had died. only had 2 cherry and 1 fire left besides my 5 Orange bee. I also found a molt for each missing. I thought maybe the LFS just had weak cherries so I decided to order blue pearls from a breeder and put the cherries in my son' s tank where they'd probably become lunch for somebody. I just moved my driftwood and found 5 of the * missing presumed dead* huddled together in a small hole :eek5:. so of the 11 shrimp total including bees, I counted at least 10. My 12 blue pearls will be here by Thursday and I can't put them together. I don't want to make the cherries feeders either now that I know they are actually happy/healthy and one of the fires is berried.
What do I do????
I can house them together if I dump the shrimplets into my son' s tank or I can still move the cherries to his tank but see if the LFS will take his Raphael catfish so the shrimp have a chance?
OR can I set up a bowl for the cherries?? How do I make it ok in 2 days?
Thank you

jlieu 01-16-2013 12:13 AM

They'll probably make it in the bowl temporarily...but doubtful long-term without a decent filtration system. Then there's the issue of having a cycled tank...

Of course, you could always try to get LFS to take it back...or do a RAOK.

musician71604 01-16-2013 12:20 AM

I know of several who have done NPT shrimp "bowls" with great success.

ranger 01-16-2013 01:15 AM

The bowl should work fine especially if you can add some moss or some substrate from the main tank. If you have a cleaning bucket you use for water changes (no soap) that would work also. Hopefully the shrimp you have survivors and won't get too stressed from the relocation. I have some small bowls and "pickle jars" with just some moss and no filtration and the shrimp do well. Just do a weekly 20% water change and don't overfeed.

rodcuda 01-16-2013 01:28 AM

You have already mixed plain cherries and fire reds, so why not just mix them up?

Bananariot 01-16-2013 01:36 AM

I unplugged my 12 long filter for 2 months, dropped the water levels to about 15%.....had about 150-200 cherry shrimp/ tangerine tigers inside.....fed about every 3 days.....

Everything lived.

dreamwallaby 01-16-2013 01:36 AM

because the fire reds are just redder cherries. If I put the blues in I'll get brown, wild and possibly sterile shrimp. If I did just mix them, I would use the babies as feeders.

auban 01-16-2013 01:47 AM

get a breeder net if you cant think of anything. nothing else, they can stay in there until you figure out what to do.

dreamwallaby 01-16-2013 01:54 AM

I'm going to see about hunting down a glass bowl tomorrow. then I'll add gravel/ water and plants from the established tanks and see how it goes. thanks everybody