The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Da bomb (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=214650)

pejerrey 01-15-2013 07:22 PM

Da bomb

Hello TPTs:

My housemate's cat is now allowed to sleep downstairs in the laundry area because is cold outside. I'm sure it has never been treated for fleas.

Another friend asked me to take are of his reef, dog and cat while he was away and OmG that house was nasty. I also got all bit by fleas in my ankles every time I went there.

So, adding this two sources I think my house is infested. We vacuum several times a week and keep things clean but my 2 yr old son is all marked by flea bites.

We decided to bomb the house, any precautions for te shrimp tank? I was thinking to cover it with plastic wrap and bag the hob. Any other suggestions?

Side note: There is no signs of bed bugs, I was worried about that because I take Bart to work and this area is infested by homeless. I mean infested by disgusting zombie looking homeless, is sad that no care is provided by authorities. I don't even sit in Bart, it's gross.

mordalphus 01-15-2013 07:49 PM

Seal your tanks and don't bomb the rooms the tanksare in .

And by seal I mean really seal, use the good plastic wrap, remove the filter, remove air pump, remove light, just have the tank totally sealed off. Then when you come back home, clean everything and be careful when you remove plastic from the tank, because it'll have the pesticide dust on it, and it can fall off into the water.

Another option is to use a pesticide that you spray directly on floors and furniture.

Shrimp are extremely sensitive to pesticides, because pesticides target nervous systems of invertebrates. (and our shrimp are closely related to bugs)

Betta Maniac 01-15-2013 08:14 PM

Don't bomb. Use diatomaceous earth.

http://www.richsoil.com/flea-control.jsp

nyxkitten 01-15-2013 08:30 PM

I second the diatomaceous earth! I thought it was silly but TOTALLY WORKED!

Merth 01-15-2013 08:37 PM

Best method I have ever found to get rid of fleas is also the cheapest. Place a saucer or low rim pan (aluminum pie pan is awesome) half full of water on the floor, put some Dawn dish soap in it, place a direct light (desk lamp is perfect) over said pan, turn out all lights in house except this one.

Be prepared to be shocked at how many fleas are in the water (dish soap kills them), repeat for a few days until no more fleas are in water. Depending on size of house may have to either move or set-up a couple "traps"

ravensgate 01-15-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merth (Post 2251938)
Best method I have ever found to get rid of fleas is also the cheapest. Place a saucer or low rim pan (aluminum pie pan is awesome) half full of water on the floor, put some Dawn dish soap in it, place a direct light (desk lamp is perfect) over said pan, turn out all lights in house except this one.

Be prepared to be shocked at how many fleas are in the water (dish soap kills them), repeat for a few days until no more fleas are in water. Depending on size of house may have to either move or set-up a couple "traps"

THIS. This is how we annihilated a ridiculously infested house of the little critters. I would do this and put the DE dust down on the floor, though I wouldn't do this in the room with the tanks unless everything is super sealed and you sprinkle close to the floor so no dust gets in the air. Vacuum up 8-10 hours later. Those two things alone and you shouldn't have to bomb.

thelub 01-15-2013 09:30 PM

I can echo the use of DE. When I was a kid our house got infested with a bad case of fleas. My mom dusted all the carpets with the stuff, left it on for 24 hours and vacuumed it up and we never saw a flea again. It works by drying out the fleas and it kills them. Its also very good at getting rid of the eggs which is normally hard to do even with chemical 'bombs"

Betta Maniac 01-15-2013 10:07 PM

Yep. And you can even (carefully) dust your pets with it. Just keep it away from their eyes and nose.

pejerrey 01-16-2013 06:54 AM

Alright, we'll let you guys know how it goes. If I mess up, I'll be contacting Speedie for a fresh batch of bugs! Lol!

crazydog64 01-16-2013 11:46 AM

Maybe Speedie secretly infected your friends animals with flea's so you would have to buy more shrimp, very tricky he is, very tricky.

wicca27 01-16-2013 11:57 AM

de is great for getting rid of fleas, and if it gets in the tank its ok. i dont mean dump it in but if some of the dust gets in it wont bother the shrimp. i had that happen when i lived in oklahoma.

Sake 01-16-2013 01:02 PM

I just had this problem not too long ago. Roommates didn't treat the dogs, I treated my cats but it was useless until the dogs where treated. What I did was get a good spot on treatment (not the cheap ones they may kill the cat), used carpet cleaner, I heard DE is very good but I went all chemical warfare on their asses! Vacuum, vacuum vacuum EVERYTHING! Use the DE on every bit of fabric in the house, vacuum it up take the vacuum outside right away and dump it. I vacuumed 2 times a day for a month, and make sure you do a thorough job of vacuuming, get the corners very good, under the couches, everywhere and make sure to dump the bag or empty the vacuum outside ASAP. Also doesn't hurt to wash every bit of laundry you have, flea eggs are waterproof but the drain sure does suck'em up :)

plamski 01-16-2013 04:21 PM

You can add large carbon bag to HOB and run it during the bomb.Seal your tanks preor,thought.