The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Plants (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   What is up with my Cryptocorne parva? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=213842)

ThatGuyWithTheFish 01-15-2013 12:11 AM

What is up with my Cryptocorne parva?

I've got some weird C. parva (literally) on my hands. Not how small the leaves are. When I see pictures on the internet, it looks a lot different than what I have? Is it just me? Also note that I don't have a big hand or anything, and this is not one rhizome.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8327/8...2493343396.jpg

BruceF 01-15-2013 12:23 AM

I got some parva that was small like that. I think it was grown terrestrially. I planted it submersed and it grew not much bigger than that and spread about a little. Now it is growing about twice that size as it spreads out. It is still pretty small. It is just beginning to have what one might refer to as a leaf structure as opposed to what one might call a blade. I’m not sure what the proper words are for that.

ThatGuyWithTheFish 01-15-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceF (Post 2244138)
I got some parva that was small like that. I think it was grown terrestrially. I planted it submersed and it grew not much bigger than that and spread about a little. Now it is growing about twice that size as it spreads out. It is still pretty small. It is just beginning to have what one might refer to as a leaf structure as opposed to what one might call a blade. Iím not sure what the proper words are for that.

Mine's been submerged for 5 or so months though...

BruceF 01-15-2013 02:31 AM

I've had this plant submerged for over a year. I am not claiming I am doing well with it.

Patriot 01-15-2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish (Post 2244002)
I've got some weird C. parva (literally) on my hands. Not how small the leaves are. When I see pictures on the internet, it looks a lot different than what I have? Is it just me? Also note that I don't have a big hand or anything, and this is not one rhizome.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8327/8...2493343396.jpg

I dont see anything wrong here.

HybridHerp 01-15-2013 06:43 AM

I think what it is is that there is another crypt that is a hybrid that looks a lot like parva in terms of leaf, but is a little bit larger and erroneously sold as parva.

n00dl3 01-15-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HybridHerp (Post 2247186)
I think what it is is that there is another crypt that is a hybrid that looks a lot like parva in terms of leaf, but is a little bit larger and erroneously sold as parva.

I have to politely and respectfully say you're wrong... It is c. parva grown emersed.

HybridHerp 01-15-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00dl3 (Post 2248042)
I have to politely and respectfully say you're wrong... It is c. parva grown emersed.

you know wayyyyyy more than me on the subject lol

somewhatshocked 01-15-2013 03:10 PM

I have tons of C. parva that's never been grown emersed that looks just like that. As well as some that change leaves like that when transitioned from emersed to submerged.

Also have tons of other crypts erroneously sold as C. parva that are larger.

n00dl3 01-15-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2249338)
I have tons of C. parva that's never been grown emersed that looks just like that. As well as some that change leaves like that when transitioned from emersed to submerged.

Also have tons of other crypts erroneously sold as C. parva that are larger.

The best way to ID this would be to flower it emersed.

vincenz 01-15-2013 05:59 PM

That looks about right. My parva specimes look exactly that small. They are pretty tiny compared to your regular crypt.

ThatGuyWithTheFish 01-15-2013 06:08 PM

GUYS THIS HAS BEEN SUBMERGED FOR 5+ MONTHS AND STILL LOOKS LIKE THIS.

Just so I don't have to say it again.

n00dl3 01-15-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish (Post 2250610)
GUYS THIS HAS BEEN SUBMERGED FOR 5+ MONTHS AND STILL LOOKS LIKE THIS.

Just so I don't have to say it again.

LOL... c. parva is one of the slowest growing crypt!!! It is probably slower than molasses in January!

BruceF 01-15-2013 07:05 PM

You could pull it a part and separate it out. I have shocked a few crypts by cutting off leaves at times and they responded fairly well. I’ve threatened a few but that did nothing.
It looks very healthy.

wheatiesl337 01-15-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceF (Post 2251034)
You could pull it a part and separate it out. I have shocked a few crypts by cutting off leaves at times and they responded fairly well. I’ve threatened a few but that did nothing.
It looks very healthy.

That might help you propogate it faster. Crypts don't seem hardy because they loose leaves so easily, but they can grow back from roots quite readily. If you have it pulled up like that, you can try trimming some of the root tips to stimulate more growth.

Otherwise, that parva and the described rate of growth seems normal to me. Crypts arn't the plant for you if you are looking for rapid growth... especially parva. Also, as for being submerged for five months, crypts grow slower submerged than emerged.