The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/)
-   -   Beware Shrimp Owners (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/212010-beware-shrimp-owners.html)

jared992 01-13-2013 12:44 AM

Beware Shrimp Owners

Today I found out my massive die off was caused by floramax midnight substrate. My PH literally went from 6.3 to over 8 after adding in the substrate. Even a small handful can raise the ph of the entire tank in 30 seconds. I probably got a bad batch, but I figured I should warn others out there so they do not have to rip their tanks apart.:confused:

Kinection 01-13-2013 02:13 AM

I've heard about some bad batches for Eco Complete...
please don't happen to me. :(
Sorry for your loss though. :(

GeToChKn 01-13-2013 02:34 AM

That's a rather blanket statement to blame you adding substrate to any already established tank, and that's what killed your shrimp? I've played with acids, peat, all kinds of things in playing with pH and never heard of going from 6.3 to 8 in 30 seconds with a handful of any substrate. a 6.3 pH would kill neo's more than a 8 pH would. That substrate is very very dusty, did you rinse it or just dump it in?

jimmytruong87 01-13-2013 03:03 AM

that's why, you need buy fluval substrate

sbarbee54 01-13-2013 03:24 AM

Yeah there is allot of factors that could have happened. But 6.3 is very low to keep noes in. My mine is 6.8-7. If you want a good healthy breeding group

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

GeToChKn 01-13-2013 03:28 AM

Whenever adding substrate to an established tank, due diligence is always on the onus of the aquarium keeper to test the substrate in a container of water for parameter changes.

jared992 01-17-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeToChKn (Post 2227746)
That's a rather blanket statement to blame you adding substrate to any already established tank, and that's what killed your shrimp? I've played with acids, peat, all kinds of things in playing with pH and never heard of going from 6.3 to 8 in 30 seconds with a handful of any substrate. a 6.3 pH would kill neo's more than a 8 pH would. That substrate is very very dusty, did you rinse it or just dump it in?

I did not add the substrate to an established tank. I started the tank with the substrate. My PH out of the tap is 6.3.

AnotherHobby 01-17-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jared992 (Post 2263666)
I did not add the substrate to an established tank. I started the tank with the substrate. My PH out of the tap is 6.3.

Out of curiosity, have you let your tap sit out for 24 hours and then tested it? A lot of tap water has CO2 in it that lowers the pH when it first comes out. Mine has 20 ppm CO2 and is 7.4 out of the tap, but raises to 8.2 in less than a day as the CO2 dissipates.

ravvin trann 01-17-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherhobby (Post 2263754)
out of curiosity, have you let your tap sit out for 24 hours and then tested it? A lot of tap water has co2 in it that lowers the ph when it first comes out. Mine has 20 ppm co2 and is 7.4 out of the tap, but raises to 8.2 in less than a day as the co2 dissipates.

no wonder i can't even keep my feeder shrimp alive! I was using dirt from the back yard!

ravensgate 01-17-2013 02:31 AM

Quote:

So you started the tank and added shrimp to it immediately? you didn't let the tank cycle? If that's the case, yes, pH will bounce sometimes drastically during the cycle and yes, it can kill your shrimp. You need to let the tank cycle and get established first before adding livestock. 2-6 weeks typically.

Aquatic Delight 01-17-2013 02:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravensgate (Post 2264266)
So you started the tank and added shrimp to it immediately? you didn't let the tank cycle? If that's the case, yes, pH will bounce sometimes drastically during the cycle and yes, it can kill your shrimp. You need to let the tank cycle and get established first before adding livestock. 2-6 weeks typically.

if the tank hadn't cycled yet and you added shrimp ammonia could have killed them as well.

please tell us a little about your tank so that we can attempt figure out what happened (GH,KH,PH,Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite)

ravensgate 01-17-2013 03:05 AM

Yes, if that tank wasn't cycled, not only would ammonia kill them but nitrites and nitrates as well could have had a part in it. Aquatic delight is right, we need more info as to what happened.

Mrturritos 01-17-2013 05:56 AM

Wow I think I know this guy or at least I heard about him from a co-worker. Poor guy came into the store to get a refund on the substrate. I tested my ph that has black flora max (2.5 gallon) and ph is 7.0 while the CRS tank is 6.8 being buffered down by bog wood and leafs.

He, I imagine lives close by and probably has similar tap water. The Ph this time of year goes up so if you haven't done a reset ph test of aged tap water might want to do that and then compare. Most people around western washington have either acidic or neutral water, but I have seen a few cases of people who live up north of seattle (rarely south) have very high 8.0ph depending on the time of year.

Kehy 01-17-2013 06:52 AM

In Ellensburg (eastern side of the state) the pH out of my tap is about 7.6 and I've seen it go about 8.0...can we trade water?

Rob in Puyallup 01-17-2013 09:31 AM

Crappy water here in Puyallup, too. Forced to use distilled for all of my tanks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2