The Planted Tank Forum banner

New set up very yellow water, do a water change?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  wkndracer 
#1 ·
I just got everything set on my 20 gal. I have two stock lights on it so I'm right under 2wpg. I have 1-1.5" of dirt capped with .5-1" gravel. I filled the tank up last night and my water got super yellow and im guessing its obviously from the dirt underneath the gravel. I got a bunch of plants today (val, ludwigia, swords, rotala and such). I was planning on doing the Walstad method and she says to limit water changes.

Since my water is all really yellow should i do a big water change and try to clear up the water or leave things be for a while and let the plants settle in?

Help is much appreciated

#5 ·
I'd also guess it's mostly tannins from the soil. A certain amount are considered beneficial for a lot of tropical fish, especially South American ones, I believe. Plus, I think Walstad listed more then a couple benefits to planted aquaria from tannins.

Like Stinkypinky12 said, if it bothers you do a water change. I would think that most of the leaching would happen pretty quickly, and after a few water changes or so, it would take longer to turn yellow, or not turn quite as yellow or something. You could also try filtering with carbon, if you have some on hand, I believe that's supposed to be fairly effective at removing tannins.

Using a finer grained cap, like sand or something may help, but I don't think it will really matter much after a month or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.