The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Lighting help for 15 gallon-no co2... (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=209858)

LyzzaRyzz 01-10-2013 06:01 PM

Lighting help for 15 gallon-no co2...

I made a thread for this a while ago, but I can't find it! So here it is again!

My tank specs:
15 gallon, 2ft long, 12 inches deep
Miracle grow organic capped with sand in Front, gravel in back
No co2, no plans either
Lighting is a standard 10 gal hood with two cfl bulbs, 15 watts each
Dosing flourish comprehensive supplement, and will be using osmocote, potash/dolomite, and red clay caps when done fidgeting with the scape

Flora:
Medium sword plant
Assorted aponogetons, two of which are over two feet long!
Stem plants, anacharis, Caboma, ambulia, rotundifolia, repens x arcuata, ludwiga red, and two more I'm not sure of the names
Pennywort
Marselia quad -doesn't seem to be growing though it is relatively new
Banana plants

Fauna:
Endlers
Otos
ADF 2x
Least killifish
Will be adding RCS

My problem is this: the hood obviously doesn't fit the tank, so I have a glass top for it to sit on. I'd like to get a fixture that actually does fit the tank, but it doesn't have to be a hood. I tried the aqueon deluxe full hood, but the bulb was only 18 inches long, it had no reflector and it was only 15 watts. It left huge dark spots in my tank and my plants seemed to go down hill almost immediately after putting the light on the tank. I'm back to the ten gal hood now.
I'm pretty sure two 15 watt cycle puts me med-low light, and I'd like to keep the same level of lighting. Some areas of the tank grow a small amount of algea, though I want that, for the otos. I do supplement their diet with zucchini and algea wafers as well.

Are there hoods for two foot tanks that hold cfl bulbs? My plants especially the aponogeton seem to live the setup!

LyzzaRyzz 01-10-2013 06:16 PM

This is the tank! I've moved some plants around a bit but basically it's the same.

scbrooks87 01-10-2013 06:36 PM

The problem with using fluorescent bulbs is that any 24" hood is going to have to use bulbs that are shorter than 24". The reason is that the 24" bulb won't leave additional room for the end caps for them and it would hang over...

Going for low light, you may be able to get away with a marineland single bright or double bright LED fixture. I'd say with only 12" depth you could shoot for the single bright, but someone else may correct me on that.

-Scott

LyzzaRyzz 01-10-2013 08:23 PM

What if I got a strip light that was slightly longer than the tank?
I just find that the three inches on each side is a lot of dark areas..
My four foot 50 gallon has a strip light, and the fixture is 48 inches and so is the bulb, so shouldn't they be able to do that with a 24 inch?
I've never dealt with LEDs, aren't they more expensive? I got the impression they don't grow plants as well. I vaguely understand bulbs and k and low med high lighting, I'll have to do so much more research on LEDs!
I like to understand what I'm buying and how it works before throwing it at my tank and seeing what sticks lol