The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Substrate (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Walstad vs. Eco-complete (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=208561)

manzpants92 01-09-2013 01:09 AM

Walstad vs. Eco-complete

So I just read Ecology of the planted aquarium by Walstad and for a while i was planning on just doing a low tech set up with the dirted bottom layer then cap it with a layer of substrate. Now however I'm planning on making a diy paintball set up so ill have Co2 entering my tank at a pretty constant level. So would it be best to avoid the walstad method if im going to be adding pressurized co2? If so should i just use some fluval substrate for a nano shrimp tank/eco complete?

Help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Diana 01-09-2013 02:04 AM

Any high CEC substrate will work well for a planted tank whether you are following the Walstad method or some variation.

Dirt, either mineralized top soil, or just added straight from the garden will work with CO2 or without.

manzpants92 01-09-2013 06:13 AM

Okay thanks. I was just unsure if it was possible to over due it because i know that the organic potting soil walstad recommends has a lot of minerals and nutrients in it

Darkblade48 01-09-2013 07:38 AM

CO2 is fine whether you are using the Walstad method or not.

On a totally unrelated note; I am most curious to whether Diana is actually Diana Walstad?

Or is it just a coincidence? :o

I've always thought Diana = Ms. Walstad, but seeing you refer to yourself in the third person made me rethink

Calmia22 01-09-2013 08:00 AM

In my experience, co2 or not you get crazy root growth when potting soil is involved. Only con: The mess you get if you move stuff in your tank a lot. (I do that)

Oh, and be super careful with the paintball co2. The diy is very tricky. I tried it, then spent $200 for a regular setup.

Razorworm 01-09-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkblade48 (Post 2188857)

On a totally unrelated note; I am most curious to whether Diana is actually Diana Walstad?

I've always thought Diana = Ms. Walstad, but seeing you refer to yourself in the third person made me rethink

Thought the same thing...

manzpants92 01-09-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Lol same. Especially because Diana was the first person to comment

scapegoat 01-09-2013 03:03 PM

I went straight unfertilized/natural miracle grow dirt capped with eco complete and lots of co2 with no ferts and saw incredible growth within a month. I'm talking many inches on some plants.

co2 is never bad no matter what method you're using for the rest of the tank. it can only help. unless, you put in too much you can kill your fish.

etgregoire 01-09-2013 06:32 PM

Diana has given some of the most insightful and detailed answers that I have ever received to many of my questions on this forum... Wondering myself!!!

Darkblade48 01-09-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etgregoire (Post 2192601)
Diana has given some of the most insightful and detailed answers that I have ever received to many of my questions on this forum... Wondering myself!!!

Problem is, I thought she was only active on APC...

Razorworm 01-09-2013 10:53 PM

Lets just pretend it's her....sounds like a Sponge Bob episode right?

darkcrisis 01-11-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmia22 (Post 2188905)

Oh, and be super careful with the paintball co2. The diy is very tricky. I tried it, then spent $200 for a regular setup.

I second that!

funkman262 01-11-2013 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmia22 (Post 2188905)
In my experience, co2 or not you get crazy root growth when potting soil is involved. Only con: The mess you get if you move stuff in your tank a lot. (I do that)

I set up my tank with garden soil topped with sand for over a year with great success, but got really tired of the water never looking as clear as I would like because of the soil particles always making it into the water column. After that long of maintenance within the tank, the sand cap eventually just mixed in with the soil. If a fish moved too quickly near the bottom, soil would shoot up and get blown everywhere from the filter output. The filter was always a mess too from the soil. I decided to start over and am now using ecocomplete with blasting sand. I'm not discouraging the use of soil, I'm simply sharing my own experience.

mitchfish9 01-11-2013 03:56 AM

Quote:

That is weird as hell, I was just wondering that earlier today.

But props to Diana(tpt diana) for giving some of the most detailed, well thought out answers out of anyone on this forum. I am blown away at the time she takes to answer some of these questions.

Anyway back to the OP. I always vote dirt :)

manzpants92 01-11-2013 06:39 AM

decided to go with the dirt! ill let you guys know how things go