The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Low Tech Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   My first month into Aquascaping (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=208482)

blue1delta 01-08-2013 11:13 PM

My first month into Aquascaping

2 Attachment(s)
I have kept fish for several years, but I had given up on keeping plants early on. Now I have taken up bonsai as a hobby and winter is slow for bonsai so to satisfy the urges to do something involved in growing I decided to get plants again. I had been running blue actinic lights in my aquarium because I liked the way they looked. I have switched to some floramax T8's. I got some eco complete substrate. I got a couple of amazon swords, some variety of annubis, I have some moss that is not doing well and some fern that I thought was java, but now I'm not sure. I am anxious to set up a co2 system and see what I can do. The driftwood is some I found locally. The fish consist of a Jack Dempsey, Convict Cichlid, Green Terror, Albino African, and an albino cory. I also have 5 snails. So far I haven't had much problem with algae. I have some new growth, but very slow.
I am excited to join this online community to learn from other's experiences:icon_smil and share my own.
Unidentified fern is pictured with the jack dempsey. It is growing new plants on the leaves, but doesn't look quite right for Java.
Comments and suggestions appreciated!

GMYukonon24s 01-09-2013 01:09 AM

Welcome to the forum. Nice setup!

spifff 01-09-2013 02:41 AM

welcome i'm just learning about plants myself. cichlids are another story though i've been raising them for years. your tank looks nice, but just a warning one day you may wake up to find it rearanged to the fishes liking especially with the green terror in there! either way good luck and i'll follow along.
Dave

blue1delta 01-09-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spifff (Post 2186921)
welcome i'm just learning about plants myself. cichlids are another story though i've been raising them for years. your tank looks nice, but just a warning one day you may wake up to find it rearanged to the fishes liking especially with the green terror in there! either way good luck and i'll follow along.
Dave

yeah, that is what turned me off of keeping plants years ago. I have taken a large section of mesh and cut holes for the plant roots then covered the mesh with rocks and substrate. It seems to be working well. The fish sometimes uncover the mesh, but are not able to uproot the plants because of the mesh.:fish:

blue1delta 01-24-2013 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm adding a lot of new plants this week thanks to some forum members for hooking me up!

Today I received some needle leaf java, trident java, and some kind of moss that was attached as a bonus. I'm expecting some dwarf sag and crypts in the next couple of days.

CPDzeke 01-25-2013 01:41 AM

I am in about the same situation as you, but I consider myself more experienced because I have always had plants. Welcome!

blue1delta 01-25-2013 07:43 PM

Planted a ton of dwarf sag today! excited to see it looking so green in my tank:proud:

amajoh 01-26-2013 12:31 AM

Welcome! I'm new, too. Yours looks great so far. I'll be eager to hear how your dwarf sag is doing. I've been wanting some, but haven't yet taken the leap.

blue1delta 01-27-2013 12:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
new pic of the dwarf sag. covered the open areas of the substrate hoping to have a carpet soon!

blue1delta 02-05-2013 06:08 PM

updated pictures

3 Attachment(s)
here are new pics

blue1delta 02-08-2013 02:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
more pics of the fauna

GMYukonon24s 02-08-2013 02:38 PM

Looking good! Keep it going!

blue1delta 02-08-2013 06:47 PM

Thanks! Everything is growing which is good, but it seems very slow.

Anyone have thoughts on the hardscape? Once the plants are rooted really well I plan on removing the gray rock in the center in front of the sword. I also have three small pieces of driftwood that are still floating and the large piece you see in the top left corner. I kind of like it up there and I've attached some needle leaf on it. I'm thinking of tying it up there to keep it from sinking.

cmathews95 02-09-2013 12:03 AM

im really curious about how your plants will do with cichlids. have you had any trouble so far

blue1delta 02-10-2013 04:18 PM

I have had trouble with them moving and uprooting. I have just been moving things and trying to position wood and rocks to keep them from damaging them. The fish are the reason I have the aquarium so I don't mind accommodating them. The crypts are the biggest problem. They do fine with the swords, dwarf sag, and ferns.