The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Planted Nano Tanks (
-   -   Opinions on filter choice (

Redtail84 01-08-2013 06:21 PM

Opinions on filter choice
I'm getting a larger desk at work, which means that after all these years, I can finally set up a small desktop aquarium. I'm thinking a 2.5 gallon glass tank (12 x 8 x 6") with a betta and lots of plants. I'm just not sure what I want to use for filtration. I'm looking for cheap. I'm thinking either a small internal filter like the Tetra Whisper, or maybe the good old Lee's corner filter since it allows me to customize my media. I'm open to the idea of a sponge filter or anything else. What do you all use/recommend? Or should I just scap the customizable stuff and get a mini bow?

Ben. 01-08-2013 06:42 PM

For a cleaner look I would either go with an undergravel filter or a small canister. If you really don't care about looks just use a sponge filter, it should be sufficient filtration!

zzrguy 01-08-2013 08:15 PM

You cold get a nano hod from red seas or deep blue around 15 bucks they work pretty good and don't look bad.

skindy 01-08-2013 11:44 PM

I had a Tetra whisper in my 2.5gal quarantine tank and it did everything but whisper :P I could have just been unlucky though. The suction cups on mine also kept falling off and the inflow is a bit strong. I ended up placing cut pieces from a bath loofah to prevent fishies from getting trapped.

Aside 01-09-2013 12:48 AM

If you get a betta he might proffer a sponge filter. They don't like a lot of flow.

caoder 01-09-2013 02:14 AM

or get enough plants to cover for his ammonia output :). 2.5 g is more than big enough to have plant only filtration for one betta. Especially if its a slightly taller tank.