The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Planted Tank Discussion (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   feeding peas to fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=207777)

driftwoodhunter 01-08-2013 04:49 AM

feeding peas to fish

I know there are many posts on this, but I was hoping I could get a few quick answers & save the time hunting the posts down...

I want to introduce much more veggie matter to my fish - 90% of which are various tetras (larger tetras, like Buenos Aries and Columbians). Sadly, the poor things rarely get any veggies, as I feed Tetra Crisps and Hikari Bloodworms, and Tetra Spirulina flakes when I remember to buy them. I actually thought I was helping them by feeding bloodworms 3 - 4 days a week, not realizing that so much protein was hard on them, and the water quality.

Some of the fish like the zucchini I offer, some don't. Tonight I tried peas. Wow! I admit I used canned peas because that's what I was going to cook (no sodium added) but I usually buy frozen peas. As a matter of fact this was the first can of peas I've bought in years - lol. I imagine they (canned) are not so healthy for fish. Anyhow, they went nuts for it. I only squeezed out 4 peas for a 125 tankful of fish, then 2 peas for some tiger and rosy barbs & celebes rainbows in a 29. I was worried that too much of a new thing - or the fact that they were canned peas - might be rough on them. But since they loved them so much, I'm wondering how often is it ok to feed peas to fish? A youtube vid has a guy that feeds peas every other day. I was thinking maybe every 3rd day? Can I use it like regular food, and give them as much as they completely consume in a minute or two? Next; I try spinach! lol

Thanks!

mitchfish9 01-08-2013 05:05 AM

I feed mine peas once a week, it looks like it has a positive impact on the health of the fish in my tank. I'm not sure the exact interval that is optimum to feed them though. And I would also only feed what they can eat in a couple minutes, because they are not algae eaters or anything who will graze on it all day.

ghost shrimp 01-08-2013 01:49 PM

Peas are good for any fish in moderation, also people feed betta's a pea once a week to "flush" their system.

DogFish 01-08-2013 04:54 PM

I keep a bag of frozen baby peas for the fish & shrimp...and for homemade soup. Thaw a few & mush with a fork. The goldfish get them 2Xs a wk. Planted tank every other week as I want those fish & shrimp to be primarily eating algae.

Virto 01-08-2013 05:01 PM

Peas are OK for some fish, and yes, people do feed them to bettas BUT they should not.

Bettas are purely carnivorous fish, and the digestive tract is not made to handle a big influx of roughage. A well-balanced pellet food (NLS or similar) contains all the required fiber and plant material that a betta would need. Constipation and bloat with bettas is almost always an overfeeding issue. Bettas are opportunity feeders - meaning they'll eat anything they can find, even if they aren't hungry.

Peas are bad for bettas, but not all fish. Highly-vegetarian fish like some goldfish and varieties of cichlid do well with peas.

driftwoodhunter 01-08-2013 05:28 PM

Thanks everyone! As I said, 90% of my fish are large tetras which should be provided vegetable matter, I don't have bettas but I did read that they shouldn't have veggies & why. Thanks for pointing it out though, if I had been a clueless betta owner, you would have saved my fish!

Dogfish, I'm curious; are your goldfish outside pond fish, or inside in a tank? I ask because I've become enamored of Fizzie's (drat - I can't remember her whole username just now!) big, beautiful planted goldfish tank. I'm actually considering reserving one of my 29s for two goldfish-only (and heavy filtration - lol). My reading also said it's highly recommended to feed peas to goldfish especially.

What I didn't have a clue about was how often to feed my tetras peas, but the general consensus seems to be 2x a week. I'm going shopping today and will also pick up some spinach and lettuce to see how that goes...

thank you everyone!

Knotyoureality 01-08-2013 05:42 PM

Reactions vary, but I've had good responses to: acorn squash, pumpkin, yams, green beans, and pretty much any dark green leaf, incuding radish leaves.

DogFish 01-08-2013 05:56 PM

My Orandas are in a 40 (sump tank) of my Aquaponic system. That's were I'm using the MattenFilter. Yes, on the Peas for Goldfish but in moderation as Peas are high fiber.