The Planted Tank Forum banner

Excel vs Metricide 14?

7K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  herns 
#1 ·
So I started using excel a few days ago, so far so good. I have zero interest in a co2 system even diy. I did once and had horrible things happen to my tank. And I often go out of town for a few days here and there and the person watching over my tank would have no idea what to do, with the excel I can have it in little containers already marked for easy dumping like I do food. Anyway, While doing more research I found a thread on Metricide 14. Is this just like excel? What is the difference?? Would also love more info on what ferts are good as well. Right now I just use florish comprehensive after watcher changes every week and a half or so.

#2 ·
Excel is a mixture of glutaraldehyde and water. So is Metricide, just at a slightly stronger (70%-ish stronger). Mix 10 parts Metricide with 7 parts water and you'll get a solution that's pretty close to Excel, at a fraction of the cost, with exactly the same ingredients.

Just don't add the little bottle that comes with the Metricide. Toss it.

#3 ·
Just ordered a gallon of Metricide 14. I went to check on my chichlid tank (all thats in there is some stubby vals and a dyeing sward. I did the initial dose about 4 days ago, but nothing since. OMG! Directly under where I poured in the excel on the right side of the sward are over a dozen new leafs! And they are all at least 4-6 inches long already! I'm sold! 3 strands of the valls have also grown about an inch. Very happy! :bounce:

#4 ·
You're lucky you didn't melt the Vals but glad it's working for you & your plants. Vals are sensitive to Excel/Glut. You usually need to work up to full dose when you have sensitive plants like that. Maybe they got desensitized the few days you used Excel.

Not sure how everyone else does it but I never do the initial dose or extra-large dose after water changes. I don't want to take a chance of melting sensitive plants even though I've been dosing several months now. Seachem really needs a statement on their bottle about sensitive plants and how to dose .. it's only on their website they mention not to do the initial high dose.

#5 ·
I know! I did not know about the val problem until after I started using it. I followed the directions on the bottle. Said to do 40% water change when do the large dose the first time, then 1 cap full every day for every 50 gallons. I'm curious to see what happens with the valls though.

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
Found a dosing calculator
http://rota.la/glut/

Tips are:

Common dosing is 1mL/10gal of this solution daily or every other day.
Dose 5mL/10gal after water changes.
Many folks double or triple the daily dose as an algaecide.
Certain plants, such as Anacharis or Vallisneria sp., generally don't like glut.
Don't add any "Activator" or "Plus" bottle that may have come with your Glutaraldehyde source.
Glutaraldehyde is dangerous! Be careful, don't drink it, don't breathe it in, wash any skin contact, etc, etc.

thanks for the help =)

#9 ·
Thank you everyone. I still have some excel left, but the gallon of Metricide 14 is arriving via FedEx today. I'm still shocked how much my plants have grown!!!! Every day I see several new swards popping up!!!

I'm using Flourish Complete weekly, is this good? Should I do more? Something better? Trying to do low tech cheap. :)

Also instead of having the lights on 8 hours straight per day, I change to 4 hours on, and then 2 off, then 4 on, then off all night.

#10 ·
So I'm a little confused. I got a ml/cc syringe for doing, I dont want to worry about mixing with water. So Should I be dosing 1ml per 10 gallons of Metricide 14, so 5 ml for a 50. Or is it 2.7 ml for 50 gallons?

#13 ·
If you mix the Glut with water then you'd dose the same as Excel 1ml per 10 gallons.

Since you're not mixing with water I'd dose approximately 1/2 Excel dose. So for 50 gal I'd use about 2.5 ml of Metracide 14. It's just easier for me to remember half dose than worry about the exact ratio. LOL

#21 ·
i've been dosing excel at 4 drops per 2 gallons daily... explains the no growth thing!

#15 ·
Maybe I'll just play with the dosage for a while to see what works best for my set up. I plan on using the lower dose in my cichlid tank because I don't have very many plants in there right now.

I ordered it off of Amazon.com, with shipping it was the lowest price @ $27.24

#18 ·
I've posted this in another thread but I'll post it again here. Go to e b a y and search item # 230818682873 seller is supermedicalsupply. It's currently 23.80/gal with free shipping. They ship out really quick and I received it next day because they have warehouses scattered across the US.

#19 ·
Good to know! Will keep that in mind next time I need it, $27.24 including shipping on Amazon was the lowest price I could find when I bought it. I looked on ebay but didnt see that add at the time.

#22 ·
oh and e b a y 230818682873 down to 23.80 free shipping today!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.