The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Aquascaping (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Squirrel skeleton in tank? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=205521)

Betta132 01-05-2013 04:18 AM

Squirrel skeleton in tank?

Yup, me again. So, what about a squirrel skeleton? It died of a broken back, was picked up by me literally minutes after it died, and spent 10 days underground. After that, it was dug up, soaked in a hydrogen peroxide solution, rinsed, and partially assembled using SuperGlue.
What would I have to do to make sure it's aquarium safe? I have a tree-looking piece of driftwood in my 65, and I think a squirrel skeleton is just what it needs. Yeah, I'm weird for wanting bones in my tank.

Darkblade48 01-05-2013 04:46 AM

I would imagine it would be fine, but bone is mostly calcium carbonate, so it would alter the parameters of your water.

Betta132 01-05-2013 05:13 AM

It's a 65 gallon tank and a small squirrel skeleton, do you think it would alter them enough to be a problem? I honestly can't see it changing anything all that much...

Elppan 01-05-2013 05:27 AM

You could always seal it with some kind of waterproofing so it doesn't deteriorate. Whatever people use to seal the foam they make those awesome fake trees and roots with. Then you wouldn't have to worry.
Also, now I want skeletons in my tank... maybe mice having a garden tea party... bwhaha

Sent from my phone, in the land of magical unicorns and rainbows!

MichaelMcG 01-05-2013 06:21 AM

just post a pic when you get it set up!!!

Centromochlus 01-05-2013 06:33 AM

Well, you're creative for sure... and I'll leave it at that. :proud:

Betta132 01-05-2013 07:42 PM

Hmm... Can anyone recommend a good sealant? And I'll try to post a pic. @Elppan, if you could get the skeletons, that would be really cool!

driftwoodhunter 01-05-2013 08:19 PM

well, for sealing the bones you could just smear them with the GE1 silicone - I suppose the silicone would look clear underwater. (maybe it would look like gelatinous cartilage - lol)
I use Drylock to do my 3D backgrounds - it's a potable water sealer that is stark white straight out of the can - you can tint it with concrete colorants if you want. It's like a watered down concrete, the consistency of cream. You could buy a quart, pour it into a container, and simply dip the skeleton in it, I'd do multiple dips as it dries (it dries pretty fast). It has a small amount of sand grit to it, to, but not enough to take away from the texture of the bones. I get it at Lowes in the paint section.

Betta132 01-05-2013 08:37 PM

Do you think aquarium silicone would work instead of GE1? I have some of that on hand...

Vincent Tran 01-05-2013 08:49 PM

Wow, I can honestly say I have never heard of this.

Rainer 01-05-2013 08:55 PM

If you're going for the underwater roadkill look, don't forget to score the skeletons in a corkscrew manner to simulate propeller damage.

driftwoodhunter 01-05-2013 09:05 PM

oh sure, aquarium silicone is fine.

Betta132 01-05-2013 09:19 PM

@Rainer, no, that's not quite what I'm doing, lol. I'm actually not sure what I am doing, it's just a random idea.
Alright, I'll use aquarium silicone. I still have to finish assembling it, but I'll get some pics up when I can!

Betta132 01-05-2013 11:17 PM

Okay, that didn't work. I need suggestions for a different sealant, a clear one, because the silicone doesn't work. The bones just have so many little holes and crannies, it's impossible to get something this thick in all of them.

Jeffww 01-05-2013 11:21 PM

Krylon fusion white! This, with all krylon fusion spraypaints are fish safe. There are also several clear epoxy sealants out there. Which are reef safe I can't tell you

Honestly speaking though I would just put it in. Bone is totally safe for fish. Just make sure it's totally clean/bleached.