The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Hatchetfish ID Question... (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=205129)

scottytank 01-04-2013 09:51 PM

Hatchetfish ID Question...

So, I've noticed that both my LFS's and the major chains can't seem to get this right at all. Its easy to tell the difference between Marble Hatchets and rest of the Carnegiellas, however does anyone have a way to tell the difference between the Gasteropelecus levis (silver hatchetfish) and Gasteropelecus stennicla (river hatchetfish) besides size? Most stores incorrectly label both as "Silver Hatchetfish." I even noticed yesterday at Petsmart (I was buying cat littler not fish) they had the Thoracocharax stellatus (spotfin hatchetfish) labeled as "Silver Hatchetfish".

I want the levis for their smaller max size (1.4") and I don't want to end up with just small stennicla's that will grow bigger (2.5").

I trust my main LFS here, especially the dude I deal with, but I want to be sure. Thanks for any advice you may have!

Bettatail 01-05-2013 07:48 AM

get the marble, small size and look better, make sure get a group of them, they will feel more secure and active.

have to let you know they fly, if you don't cover your fish tank, your cat will be happy.

Axelrodi202 01-05-2013 01:59 PM

Marbled hatchets aren't always necessarily smaller. I went to a store yesterday that had huge ones that were the same size as the adult silver hatchets in the tank next to them.

scottytank 01-05-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bettatail (Post 2158393)
get the marble, small size and look better, make sure get a group of them, they will feel more secure and active.

No doubt, I plan to get 6-8 or so... My GF really wants the silver ones, and although I like the marble, she lets me do whatever I want with the tanks in our place so I'm going to get whatever she wants in this case. She had hatchets as a kid and gets super excited every time she sees them at the LFS. Plus most everything I've read lists the marble and the levis at the same max length of just under 1.5".

Quote:

have to let you know they fly, if you don't cover your fish tank, your cat will be happy.
I definitely have heard some pretty amazing stories about their leaping ability. Tank is already covered so its ready to go for them.

plantedtankfan 01-06-2013 02:27 AM

I definitely have heard some pretty amazing stories about their leaping ability. Tank is already covered so its ready to go for them.[/QUOTE]

I started out with five silver hatchets and over a period of close to a year end up with none...... They just slowly disappear.

Bettatail 01-06-2013 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plantedtankfan (Post 2164737)
I started out with five silver hatchets and over a period of close to a year end up with none...... They just slowly disappear.

did you leave the window open or is there any crack on the ceiling, :hihi: