The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (
-   -   Good way to test for low PH (

Lkittredge 01-04-2013 07:58 PM

Good way to test for low PH
I have a couple of shrimp tanks with active soils that test at 6.0 on the standard low range API PH test kit. I assume the PH may be lower than that and mainly out of curiosity would like to test it. Is there are reasonably priced test kit that goes down to at least 5.0? Alternatively does anyone have recommendation of a reliable PH pen that I could use between multiple tanks that would cover this range?

MABJ 01-04-2013 08:19 PM

I'd love a good PH pen suggestion.

GeToChKn 01-04-2013 08:19 PM

Most of the pH pens go from 0-14, look for one with ATC (automatic temp correction). I got mine off Ebay from overseas, took 3 weeks to get it but was like $7. You can get them on Amazon and get it quicker for like 20-$30.

sbarbee54 01-04-2013 08:28 PM

Get a 80$ monitor one, the pens are really finnicky

somewhatshocked 01-04-2013 08:48 PM

Do this. And after constantly paying for solution to calibrate a pen before every use, you'll have spent more time and money than it's worth.

If you're super-concerned about pH? A monitor is the way to go.

Though - if your critters are fine? I wouldn't worry much about it. Just focus on hardness and TDS.

Originally Posted by sbarbee54 (Post 2153937)
Get a 80$ monitor one, the pens are really finnicky

Lkittredge 01-04-2013 08:49 PM

Any specific brands/names to look at? I would like to be able to move it from tank to tank easily and keep accuracy between tanks. I am fairly ignorant about the monitors, but if the probe stays out of the water for any appreciable amount of time will that impact the reliability? I don't plan to keep the probe in the tank consistently so the pens seem like what I would want unless the monitors are effectively the same, just more reliable.

somewhatshocked 01-04-2013 09:06 PM

No brands come to mind. Just shop around if you're set on getting one.

The probes will need to be kept wet.

wkndracer 01-04-2013 09:14 PM

American Marine and Pinpoint probes (imo) are rock solid.

plamski 01-05-2013 02:35 AM

Best one from 7 tested: Marine Depot-American Marine Pinpoint pH Monitor Package
If you decide to go cheap $7-10 buy 3-4 in order to compare readings. I like them better than Hanna and Milwaukee ones. Buy 4-7-10 PH fluids to calibrate them. Cleaning solution and storage solution if you won't keep them all the time in the water. Buy some API PH test just in case. All those steps are considered only if you have expensive shrimps. Other ways API are good enough.

funkyfish88 01-05-2013 03:29 AM

I also experience testing to the minimum on the liquid API. Bought one off of ebay for <$12 shipped. 3 tanks tested in the low to high 4's (several members here could not believe my fishes, shrimp survived - I did have some clown loaches dying). Was really surprised, but after several calibration with 4 & 7 buffer soln, was confident of the meter. Also, I had one tank that was reading around 6.6 on liquid and meter read 6.7.

I wanted to get my tanks back to around 6.2, so finally accomplished that with crushed corals. And meter still tested fine against the API liquid once I got back into the 6's.

It's not a high end pH meter, but it did the job. This meter was shipped from the US.

Lkittredge 01-05-2013 05:25 PM

Appreciate all the replies. Like I said in the original post it is more of a curiosity thing as the shrimp are doing fine. I guess I am about $10, but not $100 curious so I will probably try out the Ebay PH pen. I have the API test kit both low and high range that I use for African and community tanks so I will use that to compare to the pen. If it is not reliable then I guess I will be out $12 and still curious.