The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Planted Nano Tanks (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Started my first tank - Fluval edge, need some help (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203784)

rizorith 01-03-2013 05:10 AM

Started my first tank - Fluval edge, need some help

I'm 3 days into my first fish tank. It's a fluval edge (with stock LED) and I put in some driftwood, rocks and 5 plants (annubias and java ferns).

The substrate is some gravel from Petco. I've read a ton about these but I'm a bit lost on the cycling. Since I got plants and wood from a live tank I'm hoping the cycling is starting - plus I'm using the nutrafin cycle as directed. Should I now be changing the water regularly? My testing kit is on the way.

I also have some stocking suggestions. How would 5 Endlers Livebearers, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 2 small shrimp and 1 snail work out? I gather the only real question is the Dwarf Gourami and I've read mixed opinions on them in a tank like this.

Also, what kind of snail would I look for?

Lastly, when I start putting in fish what order do I add them? I know the shrimp/snail would probably be a month+ from now but would adding 5 Endlers at once be a problem?

One more thing! The plants are barely attached and I'm wondering how long it would take for them to root in the gravel, rock and wood I attached them to. They aren't actually attached, more like slightly burried.

zico_aqua 01-03-2013 05:19 AM

if you have buried the roots of the plant then fine..but if you have buried the rhizomes as well..they will die in no time..so attach them to your wood/rock for getting them rooted up with a thread. Ideally there is always an ammonia spike for the first couple of weeks. My advice change water on alternate days for next 2 weeks since this is a low-tech tank(assuming) so it should be fine.

akpoly 01-03-2013 06:14 AM

Welcome aboard! You can check out my tank for some ideas I have almost the same setup.

I would advise against the gourami just because I had one as well and he would constantly take the plants out and rearrange things into his bubble nest. Very annoying

rizorith 01-03-2013 06:18 AM

Thanks for the advice

zico, the roots are partially burried but not the rhizome. They are basically trapped between some rocks and I was hoping it would attach to them or the gravel below. I think I'm just going to get some string and tie them up though because one in now floating

akpoly - any other suggestions on a 2nd kind of fish to put in? I wanted something that would fit so I thought Gouramis because they're pretty and don't need to be in a school.

rizorith 01-03-2013 08:50 PM

I just got back from my LFS - I was hoping they had some gravel or media they could give me to jump start the cycling. Instead, he told me to get one fish, like a red borras, and keep it for a month. He told me that I should not cycle by adding ammonia.

I'm a bit confused at this point. Any advice?

Also, I'm still wondering about my final fish stocking. I like 5 Endler Livebearers, 3-4 shrimp and maybe 1 other fish but I'm not sure what that other one should be. Would one red borras be ok? He seemed to think so but I know you can get bad advice anywhere and I'm honestly a bit suspicious.

Another idea is 2 Sparkling Gouarmi, 5 Galaxy Rasbora or 5 Borraras Brigattae and 3-4 shrimp. And could I start with 1 Gourami?

wheatiesl337 01-03-2013 11:21 PM

Gouramis are terrible community fish. Some people report keeping them in communities without issue, and still recommend them, but I think they are merely lucky with the individual fish they got.

Gouramis have the tendancy to be very aggressive. Do not keep more than 1 male--you will end up with only 1 remaining. I have had them be aggressive with community mates (rasobars) as well, even when showing no interest in building bubble nests. Gouramis can also be very destructive to plants. I had one that ate all stem plants in my tank, even when I kept him fed with fresh veggies. I moved my last gourami to a solo tank.

I personally think it is irresponsible for people to recommend gouramis for community settings, especially to a beginning fish keeper. Unless you are prepared to return or quarantine an aggressive individual, just say no to gouramis in a community setting.

It's perfectly fine to cycle a tank with ammonia following instructions. People have explained this process on the forum. Yes, adding plants and other material is going to give you a start on the process. Remember, cycling is just giving time for nitrifying bacteria to colonize. They turn ammonia and nitrite into nitrate. It's really a very simple process. Don't overthink it.

rizorith 01-03-2013 11:26 PM

What would be an alternate suggestion to Gouramis? I would really like to have two kinds of fish, plus some shrimp and a snail.

SueD 01-04-2013 12:58 AM

Which size Fluval Edge is this? If it's the 6 gallon, you don't have room for too much variety. Since endlers seem to be your first preference, what about adding about 6 corydora pygmaeus or one of the other dwarf cories like corydora hasbrosus.

rizorith 01-04-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SueD (Post 2147289)
Which size Fluval Edge is this? If it's the 6 gallon, you don't have room for too much variety. Since endlers seem to be your first preference, what about adding about 6 corydora pygmaeus or one of the other dwarf cories like corydora hasbrosus.

Whoops, 6 gallon. So you think I could put 6 Endlers and 6 Corydora Pygmaeus? I was picturing a small shoal and a fish that does well in 1's or 2's, plus shrimp.

ses601 01-05-2013 01:06 AM

in your same tank, i have an oto, 4 fire red cherries, and i'm thinking about maybe a handful of rasboras....not sure if that helps, but from what i've read it seems to be a good combo

wheatiesl337 01-05-2013 01:37 AM

Personally, I would start with a single-species and some shrimp for a 6 gallon edge. If you feel it can handle more (bio-load) and aesthetically needs something else down the road, you could then add a second shoaling species.