The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Lounge & Introductions (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Homemade cough syrup (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202812)

Shangrila 12-29-2012 10:26 PM

Homemade cough syrup

One of my 12 year old sons is getting over a really bad cold and has a nasty dry hacking cough that just won't stop. We tried a few OTC ones and none seem to work. Anybody have any home remedies?

dprais1 12-29-2012 10:32 PM

probably needs to clear the junk out of his lungs. make him run around the block a few times every day

Greenmagick 12-29-2012 10:39 PM

There are a ton, but a real simple one is honey and onion. Many ways to do it but a quick way is to put a jar with some honey and diced onion in a double boiler and let it simmer for awhile. You can get more complex and add other things (garlic, horseradish, cayenne, list goes on and on) but really the honey/onion combo is pretty palatable so I tend to start with that.

blink 12-30-2012 12:05 AM

Jagermeister always works for me

slavecorps 12-30-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenmagick (Post 2132366)
There are a ton, but a real simple one is honey and onion. Many ways to do it but a quick way is to put a jar with some honey and diced onion in a double boiler and let it simmer for awhile. You can get more complex and add other things (garlic, horseradish, cayenne, list goes on and on) but really the honey/onion combo is pretty palatable so I tend to start with that.

This works well, I've done the honey and cayenne. Even just plain honey works well to soothe the throat.

Shangrila 12-30-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blink (Post 2132548)
Jagermeister always works for me

Uh.... he's 12

HD Blazingwolf 12-30-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shangrila (Post 2132608)
Uh.... he's 12

honestly a little jack daniels with some honey and tea is great. even for a 12 year old
it will increase internal temperate and help him sleep

i was raisedo n it and so are my kids when the throat is raw

Greenmagick 12-30-2012 01:10 AM

Warm tea (especially an herbal one like chamomile) with honey and lemon will also help soothe

m00se 12-30-2012 02:03 AM

I didn't realize alcohol was toxic to juveniles. TIL

hedge_fund 12-30-2012 02:14 AM

I used to get a bit of alcohol when I was sick as a child. It did not harm me in any way...as a matter of fact I rarely drink now as an adult. Maybe I got it out of my system as a juvenile? haha

MABJ 12-30-2012 02:20 AM

In talking to doctors, they often have to push medications, but more 'naturalistic' doctors say look at the bodies natural reactions.

Coughing developed because people need to clear gunk out of their throats.

Perhaps he will get it out naturally.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

m00se 12-30-2012 02:30 AM

Most cough syrups have alcohol bases. The definition of the word "elixir":

e·lix·ir

noun
1. Pharmacology . a sweetened, aromatic solution of alcohol and water containing, or used as a vehicle for, medicinal substances.

Nyquil is 50 proof....

OP - I've had this nasty cold for going on 2 weeks now, too. It started in my head and worked through my throat to my lungs, where it's camped out since. I do not usually get sick from colds (I took care of that in grade school by getting one every week). This one has really hung on, and made me miserable. Really mucous-y and I've been producing phlegm like a heroin addict. It's terrible. The good news is that I think I'm out of the woods, but it took almost 2 weeks to get here. This was gifted to me by a coworker, who promptly gave it to about 10 others...ugh

DarkCobra 12-30-2012 03:18 AM

As a child, my grandma would me one of those old fashioned peppermint sticks. The fat, straight porous ones. If my parents were around, she'd give me a small cup of lemon juice, and have me suck the juice through the peppermint stick. If my parents weren't around, the lemon juice would be replaced with a wee bit of brandy. Either one worked pretty well for the cough. Though I felt extra special when I got the brandy, which also distracted me from feeling poorly.

These days I use hot teas and soups. Saltwater gargles. My personal favorite is a pot of boiling water. Add a spoonful of Vick's, and breathe deep through the mouth.

trgiboney 12-30-2012 04:39 AM

Hot and Sour soup from the Chinese restaurant. Steam or most air so a long hot shower in a closed up shower.

Both of these will not suppress the cough just enhance it so he coughs It up and out of his lungs and upper chest.

blink 12-30-2012 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shangrila (Post 2132608)
Uh.... he's 12

Uh huh, I saw you'd mentioned that but it doesn't change my recommendation, I'd give him a sip or two of jag and he will probably feel better and show improvement.
Jagermeister was originally developed as a cough remedy back in the '30s and when used in moderation is quite effective.