The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   CO2 - dude this rocks - as per one juvie! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202698)

laqu 12-29-2012 12:45 PM

CO2 - dude this rocks - as per one juvie!

funny, sad, but true story of addiction and wild times.

so i added CO2, put it right in the flow of my intake (it's a DIY) well within minutes i had a juvie in the stream happily sucking in CO2 bubbles ... hmm... after an hour i took the CO2 out, and he went about his bsns. When i put it in again later that afternoon.. there he was again...
same thing next day
and next...
no matter how many times i chased him away he always went right back the minute the CO2 went into the tank... his spot RIGHT in front of the CO2 stream.

so i nick named the 'little dude' stoner..

last night guess who died? yup, i was sad to see the little guy go... though i told him CO2 huffing was not healthy and chased him away multiple times.

manzpants92 12-29-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laqu (Post 2131472)
funny, sad, but true story of addiction and wild times.

so i added CO2, put it right in the flow of my intake (it's a DIY) well within minutes i had a juvie in the stream happily sucking in CO2 bubbles ... hmm... after an hour i took the CO2 out, and he went about his bsns. When i put it in again later that afternoon.. there he was again...
same thing next day
and next...
no matter how many times i chased him away he always went right back the minute the CO2 went into the tank... his spot RIGHT in front of the CO2 stream.

so i nick named the 'little dude' stoner..

last night guess who died? yup, i was sad to see the little guy go... though i told him CO2 huffing was not healthy and chased him away multiple times.

LOL. ("little dude" stoner...)

sayurasem 12-29-2012 01:35 PM

Shrimps likes to play around with bubbles! Except they don't know what kind of bubbles their playing with :(

Soothing Shrimp 12-29-2012 03:00 PM

LOL

TV commercial:

"This is your shrimp...This is your shrimp on CO2...Any questions?"

Aquatic Delight 12-29-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp (Post 2131622)
LOL

TV commercial:

"This is your shrimp...This is your shrimp on CO2...Any questions?"

Its 10 o'clock do you know where your shrimp are?

laqu 12-29-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayurasem (Post 2131530)
Shrimps likes to play around with bubbles! Except they don't know what kind of bubbles their playing with :(

i set the return to make bubbles and he was not impressed and took off... he only liked those CO2 bubbles...

i miss little stoner...

if i figure out how to get my diy down to like 1 bubble every 10-30 seconds i'll try it again... for now... no more co2 :(

rodcuda 12-29-2012 03:57 PM

Well look at the bright side. At least he is not around to pass on those stoner genes to the next generation.

laqu 12-29-2012 04:06 PM

Lol

Soothing Shrimp 12-29-2012 04:35 PM

As far as 1 every 10-30 sec, did you try an air valve? I doubt there is enough back pressure from a DIY to pop anything.

Bandit1200 12-29-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp (Post 2131776)
As far as 1 every 10-30 sec, did you try an air valve? I doubt there is enough back pressure from a DIY to pop anything.

Very wrong, don't try this.

Soothing Shrimp 12-29-2012 04:41 PM

We ARE talking yeast mix, right? You very well may be correct, however when I was using one for a short time, I did this with no probs. Anyone else want to chime in as to yes or no?

shrimpnmoss 12-29-2012 05:05 PM

He's probably eating the microscopic yeast particles that's being carried up by the DYI bubbles. He had the munchies.

Soothing Shrimp 12-29-2012 05:08 PM

What stoner doesn't? LOL

Soothing Shrimp 12-29-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit1200 (Post 2131790)
Very wrong, don't try this.

I didn't want to give bad info, so when in doubt do a search. heh Just did a search for about an hour and came up with two posts that say that the pressure can build up to the point of popping something if shutting off an air valve on a DIY.

I didn't find anything that said it was bad or good to do what I did and use an air valve to reduce bubbles, however it is prob better to err on the side of caution and not do what I did. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Bandit. That's why I like this forum. People help each other- even in corrections.

rtmaston1 12-29-2012 05:39 PM

I did the dyi co2 for a while to.did you use a bubble counter and filter?if not you can make one out of a 160z coke bottle.just fil it 3 quarter way ful with water and make 2 holes in the cap the one coming from the co2 bottle all most down about 1 inch from bottom and cut the end of the hose at a angle and the other one the hole you made put the hose a inch or two down. it should not touch the water and that end of the hose goes to your defusser or like you were using it.this is filter the co2 coming out of the co2 bottle so nothing will get to the water.make sure you silicone the 2 hoses good so thay don't leak and that should work.i used one 2 litter bottle of dyi co2 in my 20 gallon and was not enough for my 20 gallon.i would say to start out with one and add another ofter a week or so if you need it.hope this helps.good luck and hope you can make out what I am saying about the 16oz bottle make as a bubble counter and filter the water so nothing will get by it and to your tank but the co2.