The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Co2 kit for 10G Aquarium? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202320)

Hilde 12-28-2012 01:07 AM

Co2 kit for 10G Aquarium?

I am looking for a Co2 kit for 10G tank. Checked out fluval and found others on this forum say it is a waiste of money. Came across Red Sea Turbo CO2 Bio System. Any opinion on it? Any other suggestion?

Darkblade48 12-28-2012 02:23 AM

The Red Sea one that you mentioned is essentially DIY CO2 (sugar and yeast) in a fancy package.

You can just go with DIY CO2 and pay less. Alternatively, if you don't want the hassle of DIY CO2, you can go with pressurized CO2. While the initial investment is more, it is more economical in the long run, and is also less hassle.

Hilde 12-30-2012 07:57 PM

Tried the DIY Co2 with yeast. The smell of beer aggravated my allergies. Thinking of Co2 tabs with a Co2 set up. The tank will not have fish so don't have to worry about ph swing.

Darkblade48 12-31-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilde (Post 2134088)
Tried the DIY Co2 with yeast. The smell of beer aggravated my allergies. Thinking of Co2 tabs with a Co2 set up. The tank will not have fish so don't have to worry about ph swing.

I would not recommend the Red Sea CO2 set then.

I would also not use CO2 tabs, not because of the pH swings, but because of the swings in CO2 concentration. Trying to maintain a steady CO2 concentration is quite important, and CO2 tabs will not allow this.

acitydweller 12-31-2012 01:12 AM

The "waste of money" is a relative term for people who love to speak in absolute terms devout of consideration to whom the advice is for.

Co2 kits in general cost more in the long run due to the limited life of the co2 cartridges and frequency of changes but Bear in mind, before any of us drove sports cars, we all owned a junker or beater to practice and learn on. To me, time and experience is worth more than just going out and getting what is perceived to be the best while having zero experience to fully appreciate these tools.

I often chuckle at guys who have these big 150 piece tool kits to work on their cars where in reality a small set of ratchets, a few wrenches, a torque wrench, two vice grips and clamps are all one generally needs to get the job done.

I encourage you to get a kit and figure out what works best for you. High tech isn't for everyone and you would only have spent $50 versus $200 to work that out. Best of luck.

Hilde 12-31-2012 02:36 AM

I was looking at these kits for need to some how supply Co2 while I am out of town. Seems it would just be easier to make a terranium set up and put plants that need Co2 in there. Especially since I only have 2 plants that won't survive without daily dosing of Excel.