The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   California (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   In Sacramento. Wanna visit people! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202282)

Ebi 12-27-2012 10:41 PM

In Sacramento. Wanna visit people!

Hey, I'm in Sacramento chilling with the gf's family until jan 6.

Any cool places I should check out?!

I wanna explore the area but don't know where to start?

Thanks Californians!

Mike

AVN 12-27-2012 10:45 PM

How far are you willing to go?

Smitty06 12-27-2012 11:23 PM

What do you like to do?

MaStErFiShKeEps 12-27-2012 11:28 PM

What are you looking for exactly? There are a few fish stores around here...

antbug 12-27-2012 11:39 PM

www.theSAPS.org has a fish club meeting, but it's on the 9th. Extend your trip and come hang out with us.

Ebi 12-28-2012 03:36 AM

I'm hitting up Fresno tmr. And maybe check out Nick's place in the Bay Area.
I'm willing to drive 2-3 hours around sac area(?).

Fill me in on spots! Make my trip worth it :p

Mike

AVN 12-28-2012 08:51 PM

I'm a SoCal guy, and while I've been to other parts of Cali I haven't had the time to explore them as much as I want.

Going to SF to see Nick's shrimp is a great trip, I want to make it myself sometime soon.

There are wildlife reserves you can hike through in the central valleys, I have collected driftwood and on occasion the random aquatic critter and plant there.

Further south--some of the best Asian food in the state is in the stretch between Long Beach and Newport Beach. About 30 minutes south of LA.

wheatiesl337 12-28-2012 09:22 PM

You shouldn't be collecting anything from wildlife preserves. Not only is it wrong and damaging to the area, it is potentially illegal depending on the designation.

That being said, the Nature Conservancy's Consumnes River Preserve, south of Elk Grove (itself a bit south of Sacramento), is unique for the area. It contains the Valley's last old-growth quercus lobata stand (the famous Valley Oak). It is a migration stop for the endagered sand hill cranes and a plethora of other birds, though I am not sure what would currently be out there. Overall, a very well managed area that attempts to work together with nearby ag. operations for the benefit of birds and other wildlife.

AVN 12-28-2012 09:50 PM

Sorry, did not mean protected land, meant privately owned wildlife areas. I used the word reserve to refer to a stretch of land appointed for a specific purpose, (whether it be hiking trails or just to be left standing) not as a protected preserve.

I also have a collector's license, so as long as it's not from a protected area, I am fine.

"Moral" standpoints aside, what's wrong with collecting dead wood and rocks besides the fact that you dislodge bacteria and bugs?

wheatiesl337 12-28-2012 10:08 PM

Dead rocks and wood can be habitat for a plethora of critters you don't even notice. Some may be endemic to the area and have a very small range. Further, these materials may actually be important to the survival of certain species. Take, for example, species that rely on downed wood for either forage or shelter. I am more familiar with endangered macro species that rely on this type of material, such as cavity nesting birds, though a fisheries biologist has discouraged me from engaging in collecting of wood or rocks around streams and rivers. Further, you indicated that you collect not just rock and wood, but also "critters." The purpose of a preserve/reserve is quickly defeated if too many individuals start removing specimens.

Finally, I pointed out that the activities could be illegal depending on the designation of the area. You did not distinguish between private and public, and private areas may ban collection as well. Let's take the Consumnes River Preserve for example http://www.cosumnes.org/recreation/f_a_q_s.html

This is a public/private partnership that bans all collecting of even leaves or feathers. Getting back to the topic of the thread, it provides for some nice hikes.

Diana 12-28-2012 10:27 PM

Places to see: Check out the web sites for all these for open days and times, and admission fees.
Muir Woods- Coast Redwoods, hiking, pretty good view from one of the longer (uphill) hikes, Beaches nearby.
Fitzgerald Marine Reserve- Go at low tide.
Mount Diablo- Great views on a clear day.
Napa and surrounding wine country, and California Carnivores. Giant greenhouse set up for growing and sale of carnivorous plants.
Bancroft Garden- Ruth Bancroft traveled the world and brought back all sorts of odd plants, about half or more are succulents. 2 greenhouses and several acres. (Admission fee is a bit much unless you are really into this sort of thing)
UC Berkeley Botanical Garden- plants from all over the world, including carnivorous plants, tropicals in greenhouses and many oddities.
Tilden Park Botanical Garden, specializing in CA natives.
Lawrence Hall of Science
San Francisco:
Strybing Arboretum
Japanese Tea Garden
California Academy of Science, including Steinhart Aquarium (A bit pricy, but well worth it)
Pier 39 and the rest of Fisherman's Wharf
Aqua Forest, Amano's ADA outlet
China Town, an area of SF with a very large Chinese population, great food, lots of stores.

pandamonium 12-29-2012 07:27 AM

If you go to SF, I suggest a stop by the famous Ghirardellis. Best chocolate EVER. Maybe besides Belgium/Swiss chocolate but still the sundaes are amazing.

Smitty06 12-29-2012 07:38 AM

If you want to get some cory habrosus, JOJO's had them in stock the last time I was there. They also have some nice peacock grudgeons there.

Ebi 12-29-2012 08:37 AM

Any of these places are in favorable more for planted/scape equipment? (Driftwood,rocks,plants).

Thanks for tips everyone!!
I wasn't able to find those other shops when I google searched. Only found "Incredible Pets", and was kinda bummed out :p

Mike

Smitty06 12-29-2012 05:35 PM

If you only want to stay in sac, go to JOJO's for planted tanks, but if you are looking for larger peice of driftwood then I would go to Exotic Aquarium, and you can try aquaworkz just for soe fun.