The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/)
-   -   Salmon Tank (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/202182-salmon-tank.html)

Learner 12-27-2012 07:27 AM

Salmon Tank

Told some folks I would post pics of my coho salmon tank. Nothin special as I usually raise so many fish in the tank that hardscape just gets in the way. I keep the tank at 44 degrees so plants are a non option, not to mention the eggs and young aelvin are very sensitive to UV lights. I cannot even put a small basic light fixture on the tank until they become fry. I had a catastrophic die off this year and lost 100% of my eggs due to some outgasing of some kind. So I am picking up some aelvin from a friend this coming week. I'll keep ya posted!

JD

Edub 12-27-2012 03:35 PM

how big is this tank? also, do you raise these fish for eating? pretty cool idea regardless, but I think raising fish for food is a cool concept. do you have any pics of the fish in the tank?

GMYukonon24s 12-27-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edub (Post 2126806)
how big is this tank? also, do you raise these fish for eating? pretty cool idea regardless, but I think raising fish for food is a cool concept. do you have any pics of the fish in the tank?

+1 What size?

izabella87 12-27-2012 06:52 PM

You's serious?

Kinection 12-27-2012 07:03 PM

Just noticed you live in Alaska, can't
you just go fish some out nearby? xD

Learner 12-27-2012 07:47 PM

the tank is a 29 gal standard glass aquarium.

I am a teacher and work in the summer as a professional fishing guide. The department of Fish and Game has hatchery programs to support natural fisheries in order to augment the fishing pressure witnessed durning tourist season. I raise the salmon into fry and then into smolt before releasing them into local lakes and streams. They boost the native biomass and help support everything from mink to eagles to fishermen. In turn, they give me an exceptional teaching tool for kids to learn about local ecosystems, life cycles, habitat preservation, and conservation.

I will post some pics of the aelvin (newly hatched salmon with attached yolk sacs) when I get them in the tank next week. They are very sensitive to any contaminants and I lost an entire batch this fall. although it was a great learning lesson for teacher and student alike, it was quite a set back nonetheless.

There is no shortage of wild caught salmon for me and my family to eat, so no need to raise these guys for food purposes:icon_lol:

rasbora 12-28-2012 08:56 PM

Fun stuff. When I was in Jr. High I had a science class where we did the same thing. We released them into a mountain stream.

Gregoryalln854 12-28-2012 10:56 PM

That's pretty awesome. I had a Cut Throat Trout tank for a long time, they are really fun to watch!

Senior Shrimpo 01-04-2013 10:32 PM

Any updates? This project is so cool! It reminds of me science class.

Good luck with the salmon!

Learner 01-07-2013 04:24 AM

Updates comin this week! Thanks for keepin up with the build!

AlyeskaGirl 01-07-2013 05:06 AM

That is just awesome coming from a fellow Alaskan. :proud:

Learner 01-08-2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlyeskaGirl (Post 2173657)
That is just awesome coming from a fellow Alaskan. :proud:

rock on A.girl.............there arent too many of us up here. waiting for roads to clear a bit and then they're comin in. Thanks for the shout out!

greekquarist 01-21-2013 04:38 PM

What filter are you using?

Wy Renegade 01-21-2013 04:46 PM

Nice looking tank JD, I've been looking forward to seeing what you put together for this.

Learner 11-14-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregoryalln854 (Post 2130588)
That's pretty awesome. I had a Cut Throat Trout tank for a long time, they are really fun to watch!

thanks man. I never got the new aelvin last year so the thread died. I have my new fertilized eggs in the tank now with only one or two deaths. Keeping my fingers crossed. will get pics of the eggs tomorrow

A cutty in a tank must have been so awesome, trout are my favorite things with fins!

best fishes

JD