The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Planted Nano Tanks (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   xmas cherry shrimp vase (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202170)

bluestems 12-27-2012 04:54 AM

xmas cherry shrimp vase
 
Updated 2-25-2013 fts

http://i48.tinypic.com/2pt53f7.jpg




Flora
Alternathera reineckii
Bacopa monnieri
Bacopa sp. colorata
Lobelia cardinalis dwarf
Staurogyne sp. 'porta velha'
Glosso

Fauna
cherry shrimp- coming soon!




______________________________________________

from my wonderful husband! :smile:

http://i45.tinypic.com/10yo3fs.jpg

For reference, that is my 50cmx20cmx22cm nano tank in the background. The bowl is about the same height and roughly 12" at it's widest. I'm guessing it could hold ~3g.

Now what to do with it... I'm considering either a wabi-kusa bowl or perhaps doing a shrimp bowl similar to davrx's.

Please help me decide. What do you think I should create in this wonderful vase?!!? :biggrin:

Green_Flash 12-27-2012 07:44 AM

wabi kusa semi emmersed above water and shrimp :)

sand on the bottom and a few rocks.

fill bowl 1/2 to 3/4, place sand, rocks and wabi kusa with a stem mix. the stems will grow out of the water and it will be a jungle and clean the water
then add a few shrimp

they show this concept similar in some ada videos.

bluestems 12-27-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green_Flash (Post 2126506)
wabi kusa semi emmersed above water and shrimp :)

sand on the bottom and a few rocks.

fill bowl 1/2 to 3/4, place sand, rocks and wabi kusa with a stem mix. the stems will grow out of the water and it will be a jungle and clean the water then add a few shrimp

they show this concept similar in some ada videos.

I like this idea! :smile: Other than the Opae Ula shrimp, are there other varities that could do well without filtration or an air pump? I was planning for a lamp over it, but otherwise, hoping for no other technology.

Planting wise, I like ADA's echinodorus mix wabi's and the look of Rotala rotundifolia when it flowers. I wish ADA sold their wabi-kusa in the US.

zico_aqua 12-27-2012 08:02 AM

look what came for Christmas!
 
1 Attachment(s)
Why not a simple not exactly a wabi-kusa but a simple fen-shui based hardscape dominant scape with a buddha? Adding a pic of something I did in this line. Hope this helps.

bluestems 12-27-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zico_aqua (Post 2126522)
Why not a simple not exactly a wabi-kusa but a simple fen-shui based hardscape dominant scape with a buddha? Adding a pic of something I did in this line. Hope this helps.

Nice buddha! I have a dominant stone in my nano tank and am thinking I'd like to do just plants with sand in this setup, with less emphasis on hardscape, if any.

Given the height of my vase, it seems to call for a tall stem plant as part of the layout, or maybe a cool piece of driftwood protruding through the top?

steven p 12-27-2012 08:30 AM

bacopa is a pretty rigid stem plant and is very green, grows out of water like nobodies business.. i dont know why someone said no to opae ula, as they don't seem to have been brought up(you said similar, not mirror image???), but cherry shrimp params mix with plants much better than brackish shrimps do. bourbon bowls are lovely!

zico_aqua 12-27-2012 08:36 AM

I would personally look forward to a DW as you rightfully mentioned with H.tripartita coiming kindof round it with some terrestrial moss on the wood..that would look really nice..:) plus - if this is going to be a immersed setup (where plants will be actually trained to stay without humidity) you can also give lucky bamboo a try..;)

bluestems 12-27-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steven p (Post 2126532)
bacopa is a pretty rigid stem plant and is very green, grows out of water like nobodies business.. i dont know why someone said no to opae ula, as they don't seem to have been brought up(you said similar, not mirror image???), but cherry shrimp params mix with plants much better than brackish shrimps do. bourbon bowls are lovely!

Bourbon bowl... I see now why my husband might like this vase! :smile: I do really like the shape too.

I brought up the opae ula as an original idea for the bowl that TPT member davrx did.

Now I realize there are many shrimp varieties that can be housed safely in bowls without filtration or heaters. After reading up on Walstad bowls, I may give one a try with RCS shrimp. :smile:

bluestems 12-27-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zico_aqua (Post 2126536)
I would personally look forward to a DW as you rightfully mentioned with H.tripartita coiming kindof round it with some terrestrial moss on the wood..that would look really nice..:) plus - if this is going to be a immersed setup (where plants will be actually trained to stay without humidity) you can also give lucky bamboo a try..;)

I could use some good luck :icon_wink

Jubs 12-27-2012 11:30 PM

This should be interesting to see evolve! You going to make it to the next meeting? I know I'll have a ton of plants for sale my main plant tank is bursting with plants!

somewhatshocked 12-28-2012 01:42 AM

My vote is for pool filter sand on the bottom and about 5 stems of Bacopa monnieri in the center - just planted, no Wabi Kusa. Once those grow in really well, you can trim them down to various heights and replant.

Cherries as your livestock.

Could look pretty sweet!

bluestems 12-28-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubs (Post 2127608)
This should be interesting to see evolve! You going to make it to the next meeting? I know I'll have a ton of plants for sale my main plant tank is bursting with plants!

I might try to make it! Will let you know if I plan to and what I might be looking for. :smile:

bluestems 12-28-2012 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2127862)
My vote is for pool filter sand on the bottom and about 5 stems of Bacopa monnieri in the center - just planted, no Wabi Kusa. Once those grow in really well, you can trim them down to various heights and replant.

Cherries as your livestock.

Could look pretty sweet!

I love the white flowers that B. monnieri produces. :smile: I'm leaning a bit towards a walstad bowl, topping organic potting soil with some ADA Mekong sand that I already have.

But then, I really am loving the setups of wabi kusa that I've been seeing with crypts.

Seems like a walstad bowl may be easier to keep with shrimp though, while a crypts wabi may have a nicer lush look which might fit better in the living room, where I'm planning to house this little gem. :smile:

Jubs 12-28-2012 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluestems (Post 2128032)
I might try to make it! Will let you know if I plan to and what I might be looking for. :smile:

Sounds good I don't know if I'll have what you're looking for but if I do I'll let you know and I'll set some aside if you like.

GMYukonon24s 12-30-2012 05:09 PM

Oh that's nice!


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.