The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Lounge & Introductions (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Has anyone made the switch form cigarettes to e-cigs? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=201832)

slavecorps 12-25-2012 12:46 AM

Has anyone made the switch form cigarettes to e-cigs?

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience switching from being a regular cigarette smoker to using e-cigs only. I've been a heavy smoker for 16 years and just tried an e-cig today and it seems like this might be able to keep me away from regular smokes.

I know the best thing to do is just quit all together, but I am not convinced of my ability to do so at this point and I've done a lot of research on e-cigs and they seem to be an effective way to significantly reduce the level of carcinogens I am inhaling and have little impact on cardiovascular function according to studies by the Boston University of Public Health.

What are your experiences?

Also... I see the spelling error in my title, but can't correct it. I know how to spell and I know the difference between from and form.

m00se 12-25-2012 01:18 AM

Check out:

http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/

steven p 12-25-2012 02:31 AM

Its not the same for me, the craving is gone after a puff or two.. but I guess I might just be craving the toxins or o2 deprivation

flora 12-25-2012 03:05 AM

No, its definitely not the same, but if you really have the desire to quit, they certainly help.
You still get a shot of nicotine but without the tar and other carcinogens. I have used them and have not smoked since October 2011.

plantbrain 12-25-2012 03:19 AM

I smoked for 13 years. I got sick and could not smoke for a day or so.
I realized I no longer wanted to smoke.

It's a decision.

Some of these crutches seem to help some. Worth a try.
Never did anything for me.

Craving issues got so much better after the 1st day, the 2nd day was not nearly as bad. A week later etc.

Then a year, then 10 years and so on.

I guess I did use 2 crutches: I started running, I never liked to smoke after the st year or so but I love to run. So traded one thing to take the edge off the other.

Gum, tic tac's, went through tons of that. And food taste 10X better, so you chow. I gained about 30-40lbs real quick. Hence the running. Even after you go cold turkey, there are still crutches and things you can do, but they can be very beneficial to you either way, even if you never smoked.

The e cigs are worth a try, heck, anything. Whatever works.

kevmo911 12-25-2012 03:36 AM

Unfortunately, there's only been one (that I'm aware of, as of maybe 6 months ago) *independent* study involving the intake of nicotine via e-cigs. That study concluded that the inhalation of vaporized nicotine was a completely ineffective method of introducing nicotine to the bloodstream. As in, didn't work, not even a tiny bit.

However, e-cigs offer a combination of things that no cigarette placebo ever has: the physical substitute, the "feel" of inhalation, and the visual effect.

Regardless, e-cigs are another possible aid to quitting. As plaintbrain said, though, it's all about the decision. Either you want to quit smoking enough to actually do it, or you don't. E-cigs are a path.

If you want to quit, give them a try. Factoring in a whole bunch of stuff, they're just about exactly as expensive as a pack of real cigarettes ...without all the negative effects. Even if you're not sure you want to quit right now, spend ten bucks and buy an e-cig, just to check it out.

CoffeeLove 12-25-2012 03:45 AM

The ecig helped me quit for about five months after which the atomizer in my ecig burned out.

I went back to smoking cigs...I wanna get it fixed so I can try to quit again

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

slavecorps 12-25-2012 04:25 AM

The fact that e-cigs are a crutch doesn't bother me in the least. Even if it's an ineffective way to deliver nicotine, it's far more satisfying than gum or patches, which haven't worked even for a few hours with me, despite many, many attempts to quit over the years. And, hey, if it's a poor nicotine delivery system, even better. That means that I will be able to test clean for health insurance sooner.

The addiction is so ingrained into my psychology, I need to do whatever I can to get off of the cigarettes and this seems like a good option so far. I just started today, but was able to get away with only 3 cigarettes all day, when normally I would smoke about 30.

I started smoking at 15 years old, I'm now 31 and am back in college full time, getting ready to enter grad school for occupational therapy in a year and a half. I want to quit cigarettes before that time because it sets a bad precedent to work in a health career and be a smoker. I am also starting to feel the effects of smoking and I don't want to die of lung cancer or COPD.

I really hope this continues to work.

steven p 12-25-2012 05:47 AM

I once read about someone who would go pick hair algae from their planted tanks every time they had a craving. I know I'd have some super clean setups if I made that switch. My arm would end up pruny in no time, guaranteed.

cableguy69846 12-25-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steven p (Post 2123522)
I once read about someone who would go pick hair algae from their planted tanks every time they had a craving. I know I'd have some super clean setups if I made that switch. My arm would end up pruny in no time, guaranteed.

Not a bad idea. 28 now been a smoker since 14 and with 2 kids, it is time to put it down. I am following on this one for sure.

Sent from my phone via my job's wifi, most likely.

slavecorps 12-25-2012 06:46 AM

Now I wish I had some hair algae. Somehow my tank is remarkably stable and I only get some light green spot algae that needs to get cleaned off the glass every few weeks. It's really kind of amazing since it's only 7.5 gal, I use only tap water, and haven't changed water in months, only top offs.

I guess it's not that remarkable, I only have cherry shrimp, snails of multiple unknown species and origins, some Malaysian trumpet snails, a single oto, some H. difformis, java fern, and java moss. I also feed very sparingly, maybe once every 7 days and dose minimal ferts (N,P,K and micros) once every 3-4 weeks.

If I can lay off the smokes, maybe soon I can spend some money on the tank and upset the system a bit.

sayurasem 12-25-2012 06:58 AM

Feels different. I tried e-cig at a mall small kiosk... Doesn't have the same kick.
Btw best way to quit is new year resolution. My friends had some successful story when they start quitting January 1st.

slavecorps 12-25-2012 07:25 AM

I agree that it feels different, but the e-cigs have come a long way in the last few years. I tried one a few years ago and did not like it at all, but I bought a few of the newer disposables recently and that's what I started with today. They are much better now and I am hoping that the rechargeable system I ordered surpasses the quality of these. If it does, I think I'll be good to go.

Another benefit for me is that I live in a bad neighborhood in Chicago and constantly have vagrants coming up to me asking for cigarettes when they see me smoking. Since smokes are over $10 a pack in Chicago, that means they also think you have money and some of these people are thieves as well and won't hesitate to rob you if you aren't street smart. The one I ordered doesn't look like a traditional cigarette and I can use it in my apartment, so hopefully I won't be as much of a vagrant magnet anymore.

cableguy69846 12-25-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slavecorps (Post 2123564)
Another benefit for me is that I live in a bad neighborhood in Chicago and constantly have vagrants coming up to me asking for cigarettes when they see me smoking. Since smokes are over $10 a pack in Chicago, that means they also think you have money and some of these people are thieves as well and won't hesitate to rob you if you aren't street smart. The one I ordered doesn't look like a traditional cigarette and I can use it in my apartment, so hopefully I won't be as much of a vagrant magnet anymore.

I can sympathize with you on that one. Chicago south-side here, and I don't pull my smokes out in public unless I have to.

Another good way to start kicking that habit I have found is this. I smoke 100's, so I can smoke the same one 2 or 3 times. After a couple drags, I am usually good for a while. Put it out, and repeat. Helps me cut back. The fact that I can't smoke in the house helps too. Especially in the winter.

bikercarl 12-25-2012 07:05 PM

Aloha From Hawaii!

Okay, not sure if the prices are in line with what's being charged in your neighborhood, but for a heavy smoker, the cartidges will be cost prohibitive. I know you wanna slow down and hopefully quit, but I think that the cold turkey when you're ready method will be the best solution for you.

I quit smoking and drinking once for three years, but once I grabbed a puff (wasn't thinking and someone offered me a smoke), I knew that was it. Although I had stopped smoking for three years, I still craved it...A LOT! I knew I wasn't ready, but decided to try anyways.

Best of luck with your endeavor!

Mele Kalikimaka (Merry Christmas in Hawaiian)!
BikerCarl