The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   DIY (
-   -   moving intake pipe (

mat1018 12-24-2012 10:58 PM

moving intake pipe
i have a 55 gallon tank with a hob canister filter on the end of it and i want to move the intake pipe to the middle of my tank. so my question is will that affect the proformance of the filter? i have power heads in the tank but i feel like the intake is stuck in the corner and doesnt suck as much junk as it could. so i would use 2 90 degree elbows and stright pipe imo it should work but need some input.

R.sok 12-25-2012 12:10 AM

The suction may not be as strong but it will work fine

Diana 12-25-2012 02:46 AM

2 x 90* is OK, but if you can make it work with 45* fittings that is closer to a long sweep and is better than standard 90* fittings. It has been tested. They set up 3 similar plumbing set ups except one set up had standard 90* fittings. The other set up had 2 x 45* fittings where each 90* was. The 3rd had long bend 90* fittings. The best flow was the long bend 90* fittings. It is more like a 1/4 circle, not a tight corner. There was also much better flow from the plumbing with the 45* fittings. Not quite as good as the long bend set up, but close. Makes it well worth using 45* fittings if that is an option.

I regularly add PVC fittings to the intake side of HOB and canister filters and do not have problems because of that. They work just fine.

mat1018 12-25-2012 04:34 AM

now thats the awnser i was looking for thanks so much i just want to make sure it wouldnt add extra stress to the motor of the filter i was thinking 45's and maybe one 90 i dont know yet ill try stuff and see what works best. im sure ill do a diy on it in case others have the idea also.