The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fertilizers and Water Parameters (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Seachem Safe (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=201666)

Sake 12-24-2012 01:33 AM

Seachem Safe

So I just bought a bottle of seachem safe, and I am a bit confused on how to use it. There isn't a measuring spoon or anything, and I want to make sure I get the dosing right....I've got 10, 29, and 55 gallon tanks, can anyone tell me the dosage?

1/4 of a tsp per 50 gallons? Is what I have seen, but heck do they make measuring spoons small enough for a 10 gallon? lol Wish they'd just of included a nice lil 10 gallon measuring spoon math was never my best subject @.@

somewhatshocked 12-24-2012 01:40 AM

Here are the instructions. They should also be on the container itself.

Sake 12-24-2012 02:30 AM

Yeah I seen that, and it just confused me more lol. Some of the bottles come with "measures" mine didn't and "For reference, 1 measure = 100 mg" is a bit confusing for me considering they didn't include the measure, and I don't have a scale. They break it down into gallons, but it's for such a large amount and they also stress not to overdose so I'm a bit nervous. They really should include measure spoons in each bottle to avoid this I think.

somewhatshocked 12-24-2012 02:36 AM

You should be able to pick up a digital scale for really cheap. $5-$6 online. Can be used for measuring fertilizers, Sechem Safe, even coffee.

None of my Safe packaging has ever included a measuring scoop. As noted at the link (which also includes dosage for 10gal of water), a measure is merely 100mg.

Sake 12-24-2012 02:51 AM

The reason I bought this was because it was suppose to come with a spoon. http://www.seachem.com/support/forum...ead.php?t=3818If I'd of known that it didn't I would of just gotten prime. I'm on a very strict budget considering since 2010 I have had 0 income per year lol. Heart problems can't work and also can't collect disability. Anyhow I was looking for a cheaper way of doing water changes is all. If I have to buy a scale it kind of defeats the purpose of getting safe. Also doesn't help with the water change I did tonight.

Anyhow thanks for your help. Sorry I was so difficult, guess I'll just have to figure this out some other way.

somewhatshocked 12-24-2012 02:56 AM

If you've got plants, shrimp, fish and such... I suggest trying to sell a few in order to pick up a gram scale. The etra $5-$6 it costs will save you hundreds of bucks down the road. You won't regret it, as it will come in really handy in this hobby if you can swing it.

I've been using the same $7 jar of Safe for a couple years. Probably would have been through five or six gallons of Prime in that amount of time.

DarkCobra 12-24-2012 03:01 AM

You can probably mix this with water to make your own "Prime" solution. Since you pick the amount of Safe and water, you can make the measurement whatever is convenient for you. I assume it will be shelf-stable mixed like that, Seachem's customer support is helpful and can tell you for sure.

Or you can just break out the good old fashioned mirror and razor blade, and split up a 1/4 tsp. into five equal portions for a 10G. ;) No worries if they're a little off.

I know it involves a purchase, but another option is a set of measuring spoons:

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3080-Me...ref=pd_sim_k_1

I think I recall seeing these cheap at Walmart, and the pinch spoon, at 1/16 tsp, is perfect for a 10G if you underfill it just a little.

Sake 12-24-2012 03:08 AM

Quote:

You can probably mix this with water to make your own "Prime" solution.
No, sadly that's not possible. According to the seachem site, it doesn't have the stabilizer that prime does. :( Oh I didn't know they made measuring spoons that small cool! Thanks guys.

sowNreap 12-24-2012 07:53 AM

Contact Seachem and they might send you the spoon for free. I've seen several posts on their forums asking how to dose since they didn't receive the spoon. Seachem's response was always an apology and contact us with name/address & we'll send you the spoon.

BriDroid 12-24-2012 02:48 PM

The spoon only comes with the 2 really small jars. Just call or email Sea hem and tell them you have the bigger one and they will gladly send you a spoon. They did it for me.

dprais1 12-24-2012 03:00 PM

for the cost, and it's really hard to overdose Safe, just add what you can grab with index finger and thumb for the 10gal, that and a little more for the 29 gal, and two pinches for the 55.

Diana 12-24-2012 05:20 PM

If you are doing large water changes on almost 100 gallons of tanks I would make up some water, any amount, with enough Safe for all the water changes. Then, as you are refilling each tank dose out the treated water (Safe) accordingly. So you are just making up one days' worth and storing it for a few hours, maybe overnight max. If you do water changes with a garbage can to prep the water that is where I would use the Safe. A 30 gallon garbage can would give you 30% water changes on all your tanks.

nalu86 12-24-2012 05:38 PM

I always overdose a little, in my 125, I throw in a full tsp.
In a 75 gallon tank, 1/2 tsp
In a 20 1/4 tsp
In a 5 gal, I just shake off a 1/4 tsp until I think its enough.

When I notice ammonia, throw in 4x the dose.
Just make sure you have enough aeration going when you really overdose.