The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   30 gal riparium (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=201528)

ecotanker 12-23-2012 02:36 AM

30 gal riparium

5 Attachment(s)
currently housing 7 clown killie fries, my daphnia, scuds, seed shrimps, rotifers culture, small ramshorn snails and some small species of free swimming worms.

the there is a black mesh/moss wall to screen off a section of the tanks as a safe haven for everything the fishes might eat.

my own modified recipe of EHS substrate, capped by a 1 inch layer of humus, then a 1+ inch layer of eco-complete.

plants includes two mini-orchids, dwarf blue bells, red mangroves, two type of pileas, various crypts and stems, some fissden moss, java fern, one lace plant and an anubia.

the light is a diamond plate 48" T8 fixture from home depot, using one full spectrum lamp, with a supposed CRI of 92

this tank is just a test run for a larger system that I have in mind. my ultimate goal is a semi-self sustaining system, with as little tech as possible
for my current location.

Now I am focussing on building a low maintenance marine tank, so will likely neglect doing anything to this tank for a while.

The first three pictures shows the plants, while the last two show the clown killie fries.

hydrophyte 12-23-2012 09:06 AM

Hey that looks like a good start!

What is that largest green plant in the center of the the third photo?

ecotanker 12-23-2012 01:36 PM

Thanks.

It is a plant that I got from you about a year ago. forgot the exact scientific name. it has purple bell shape flowers.

hydrophyte 12-23-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecotanker (Post 2120500)
Thanks.

It is a plant that I got from you about a year ago. forgot the exact scientific name. it has purple bell shape flowers.

Oh yeah, I guess it's a Ruellia, although it almost looks like Staurogyne.

Wy Renegade 12-23-2012 07:24 PM

Nice start. Are we talking fish fry or is it some type of fish named fries?

ecotanker 12-24-2012 01:08 AM

Thanks Wy.

'fish fry', or is it 'fish frys' for the plural?

hydrophyte 01-06-2013 06:45 AM

Any more updates for this setup?

ecotanker 01-08-2013 01:06 AM

While I wait for the tools to arrive for my reef build, here is a quick update of the tank.

Moved the onion like plants in the middle to the left side, behind the orchids to hide the planters. The plants are doing well for the most part. But there is
probably a need for nitrogen, since the new leafs on the submerged stem plants stay small.

Added a bubbler, to break up the surface scum and another mesh wall to enlarge the protected area for the daphnia. So far it does not seem to be working, all the daphnia have disappeared, don't know why. I don't think the fish ate them all. I have submerge some oak leaf and added an automatic feeder to dump some powered fish food and yeast powder for the next daphnia culture and as fertilizer for the plants.

The other food critters are still alive, since occasionally I see one roaming about the tank at night.

Added some wild cherry shrimps, glass shrimps, and ramshorn snails to be a clean up crew.

Wy Renegade 01-08-2013 06:34 PM

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that food source would be an issue for the daphnia, I'd be more inclined to lean towards too many potential predators. Certainly the fish fry can consume an enormous amount of food, so microscopic food sources aren't going to last long, Additionally, both your shrimp and scuds are also potential predators on the daphnia population as both are opportunistic and will typically feed on animal or plant matter. You may have to decrease the predator populations in order to maintain a healthy, thriving, daphnia population.

ecotanker 01-09-2013 03:13 AM

I checked again for daphnia and found some! It appears, they switched to being more active at night. So this part of my experimental design appears to be working in the short term. We will see in a few months how it hold up.