The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Calcium Montmorillonite clay?? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=201437)

HD Blazingwolf 12-22-2012 04:47 PM

Calcium Montmorillonite clay??
 
so i read on here its good stuff for scrimpers

calcine montmorillonite clay is 87% the makeup of SafeTSorb..
am i missing something here? its like 6 bux for a 50lb bag

i don't see a lot of people using it except for cheap substrate alternatives?

ARE WE MISSING SOMETHING??
or is it the other 10-13 & crystallized silicates we are avoiding?

hedge_fund 12-22-2012 04:51 PM

Not sure about the one that you're referencing but people have been buying this stuff which is much cheaper than using products specifically made for shrimp. Two pounds should last you a very long time.

http://www.amazon.com/Microbe-Lift-C...ontmorillonite

HD Blazingwolf 12-22-2012 04:55 PM

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
Page 1 of 4 Updated December 17, 2010
Moltan Company SafeTSorb 1-800-264-5826
SafeTSorb

1. CHEMICAL PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
Product Name: SafeTSorb
Product use: Oil Absorbent
Product Advantages: Montmorillonite clay, mined in Middleton, Tennessee, is highly absorbent and
nonflammable. It absorbs liquids, including most oils, water, mixtures of soluble oils and water, grease,
gas, acids, inks and paints. Montmorillonite clay naturally cleans up spills and reduces hazards.

Company Identification: Moltan Company.
7125 Riverdale Bend Road
Memphis, Tennessee
800.264.5826 or 901-755-5666 (For Product Information)
901.757.0546 fax
www.moltan.com

2. COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS:

Chemical Name Percent CAS Number ACGIH TLV OSHA PEL

Montmorillonite Clay, Calcined 87 - 90% 70892-59-0 10 mg/m! 5 mg/m!

Crystalline Silica (Quartz) 7 – 10% 14808-60-7 0.1 mg/m! 5 mg/m!/%SiO2+2

Crystalline Silica (Cristobalite) <3% 14464-46-1 0.05 mg/m! 5 mg/m!/%SiO2+2


Note: This product contains sand, clay, and decomposed organic matter. The crystalline silica (quartz)
content naturally varies depending on the composition of the soil. These materials are mined from the
earth. Trace amounts of naturally occurring elements might be detected during chemical analysis of these
materials.

sbarbee54 12-22-2012 05:17 PM

I use a pinch every water change helps keep the water crystal clear and helps with faild molt issues


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HD Blazingwolf 12-23-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarbee54 (Post 2119211)
I use a pinch every water change helps keep the water crystal clear and helps with faild molt issues


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD



So u use a pinch of safetsorb? Or the other stuff

Aquasapien69 12-23-2012 04:05 PM

I'm pretty sure Sbarbee54 was referring to Montmorillonite clay. I just bought a bag of SafeTSorb a few weeks ago and am trying it out. Do a search on this and other forums and you will find others that have been using it and other similar products for quite a while now. I also use Montmorillonite clay in my ADA substrate & flourite tanks. And........I even take a spoonful of it myself in a glass of water each day. Ya, it's tastes just like mud. But Most animals eat some sort of mineral, so I thought maybe they were smarter than me and I'd give it a try. At least it's not supposed to have any adverse effects. :)

HD Blazingwolf 12-23-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquasapien69 (Post 2120768)
I'm pretty sure Sbarbee54 was referring to Montmorillonite clay. I just bought a bag of SafeTSorb a few weeks ago and am trying it out. Do a search on this and other forums and you will find others that have been using it and other similar products for quite a while now. I also use Montmorillonite clay in my ADA substrate & flourite tanks. And........I even take a spoonful of it myself in a glass of water each day. Ya, it's tastes just like mud. But Most animals eat some sort of mineral, so I thought maybe they were smarter than me and I'd give it a try. At least it's not supposed to have any adverse effects. :)



Thats what im trying to find out, is if safetsorb will basically have the same positive results as plain calcium montmorillonite clay..
Its on 6 bux for a 50 lb bag so u can see that would be very cost effective

discus fever 01-02-2013 12:24 PM

No adverse effects here. I have yet to find a dead shrimp in this tank.
Yes they are bad pics and yes my glass is scratched, sorry.
http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/...-48-53_523.jpg
http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/...-15-18_324.jpg

Seattle_Aquarist 01-02-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf (Post 2119159)
so i read on here its good stuff for scrimpers

calcine montmorillonite clay is 87% the makeup of SafeTSorb..
am i missing something here? its like 6 bux for a 50lb bag

i don't see a lot of people using it except for cheap substrate alternatives?

ARE WE MISSING SOMETHING??
or is it the other 10-13 & crystallized silicates we are avoiding?

Hi HD Blazingwolf,

Shrimp nutrient:
"Calcium Montmorillonite Clay" = is a clay that is rich in calcium

whereas Safe-t-sorb is:
"Montmorillonite Clay, Calcined" which is clay that has been heat treated (Calcined) which expands the pores and increases the ability of the clay to absorb.

I think the confusion is in the two words; Calcium (a mineral) looks very similar to Calcined (heat treatment); but their meanings are not the same.

acitydweller 01-02-2013 01:15 PM

I have and use both.

Both offer benefits for different things as Roy has pointed out. Both are great products for our hobby.

Soothing Shrimp 01-02-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist (Post 2138808)
Hi HD Blazingwolf,

Shrimp nutrient:
"Calcium Montmorillonite Clay" = is a clay that is rich in calcium

whereas Safe-t-sorb is:
"Montmorillonite Clay, Calcined" which is clay that has been heat treated (Calcined) which expands the pores and increases the ability of the clay to absorb.

I think the confusion is in the two words; Calcium (a mineral) looks very similar to Calcined (heat treatment); but their meanings are not the same.

Thanks for explaining that! :icon_smil


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.