The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Planted Nano Tanks (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Aqueon 2.5 Betta Bow (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=201036)

tylergvolk 12-20-2012 02:21 PM

Aqueon 2.5 Betta Bow

Aquarium Setup: 12/17/12
Aquarium: Aqueon 2.5 Betta Bow
Filter: Red Sea Nano Filter
Substrate: Eco-Complete
Lighting: Stock Fixture (Replacement Bulb) 8 Hours
Flora: Dwarf Sag, Flame Moss, Annibus & Drift Wood
Fauna: Betta, Mystery Snail, & 5 Ghost Shrimp

Picture Time:

Attachment 59242
Attachment 59243
Attachment 59246
Attachment 59244
Attachment 59245

I was excited to introduce my Betta to his new friends yesterday although I was a little bit weary at first. I put 5 ghost shrimp in there with him but I've read that the Betta could eat them all or choke and die. My Betta however, seems to leave them alone for the most part although he is very interested in what they are up too.

I put a Fluval Edge Pre-Filter on the end of the intake of my Red Sea Nano to stop the shrimp from getting sucked inside the filter. This pre-filter works perfect. I was getting tired of making my own pre-filters out of left over sponge.

Please leave and suggestions or comments. Thanks.

kruzerman 12-20-2012 02:56 PM

Your tank looks great! Your betta will eat your ghosts after a while. My betta didn't touch my shrimp for over a month and then their numbers started to diminish and there were no bodies...

xjasminex 12-20-2012 03:08 PM

When I had ghost shrimp when i first started my betta ate most of them, then the biggest one started going after my betta and shredding his fins!
Keep your eye on them!

Also your tank looks really good =]

dacrax07 12-20-2012 07:59 PM

It'll look great once all the background grows in. Maybe try adding some java fern too.

tylergvolk 12-20-2012 08:23 PM

Thanks for the comment and suggestions everyone.

The Betta and Ghost Shrimp have an interesting relationship lol. As of right now, the Betta will watch this shirmp making them back up but not bit them. Also, the shrimp will swim right into the Betta when he isn't paying attention. I'll have to keep my eye on them. I would hate to have the shrimps eaten or shreading the fins of my Betta; however, if they do get eaten I can always get some more shrimp. Super cheap @ .49/shrimp at Petco.

I have a lot more Dwarf Sag I could fill in places. In about 1 month from now, I will have more Christmas Moss then I will know what to do with. Maybe I could add these plants to this tank but for now I'm going to wait and see what happens.

zzrguy 12-20-2012 08:43 PM

Throw a couple of cherry shrimp in. He will most likely like them too. The color will liven up the tank to.

dacrax07 12-20-2012 10:49 PM

I heard you can't mix ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp since ghost shrimp can be territorial

zoragen 12-20-2012 11:47 PM

Love it!

Great piece of dw.

And beautiful betta:)

R.sok 12-21-2012 12:25 AM

Nice tank! & thanks for giving the betta a better home. Hate seeing them in tiny cups

tylergvolk 12-21-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzrguy (Post 2115686)
Throw a couple of cherry shrimp in. He will most likely like them too. The color will liven up the tank to.

That's a really good idea! Ghost shrimp are so hard to see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacrax07 (Post 2115904)
I heard you can't mix ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp since ghost shrimp can be territorial

Hmmm, I'll have to research the mixing of shrimp before I add RCS to the mix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.sok (Post 2116056)
Nice tank! & thanks for giving the betta a better home. Hate seeing them in tiny cups

Yeah, thanks. He seems to be much happier in his new home.

Disher 12-21-2012 01:44 AM

Nice start to this little tank. Personally, I like the look of the dwarf sag somewhat over grown, it gives more of a jungle feel.

tylergvolk 12-21-2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disher (Post 2116262)
Nice start to this little tank. Personally, I like the look of the dwarf sag somewhat over grown, it gives more of a jungle feel.

Yeah thanks I do too! I set the sag leaves in the annibus and over the driftwood on purpose. It kinda took awhile because its hard to work in those nanos.

Elppan 12-21-2012 05:47 AM

My ghost shrimp I had with my betta steals his food, it's hilarious. I eventually moved my ghost shrimp to another tank, but man did he like to mess with my betta. Eventually Lord Baelish would steal the food back, it was a chase around the tank to see who would finish eating the food first!

tylergvolk 12-24-2012 06:38 PM

There is a white haze starting to form in this aquarium. It's covering the aquarium walls and some of the plants.

I want to say it's from the mystery snail slim but I'm not sure.

What should I do?

tylergvolk 12-27-2012 12:08 AM

The white haze has started to reseed a bit, but the plants are starting to turn brown and melt away.

I wonder if this is due to lack of light or just the fact that they are going through a transitional period...