The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Removal of 75 gallon center brace for clear? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=200196)

halffrozen 12-12-2012 04:17 AM

Removal of 75 gallon center brace for clear?

Would love to see a write up for this...

I want to remove the black center piece and replace it with clear acrylic. I am getting tired of the split striking in my tank.. :icon_roll

Have searched all over.. I must not be wording it right or something..

Thanks!

JoeGREEEN 12-12-2012 04:35 AM

Is the tank acrylic with plastic outer bracing?

If its glass then you need to place a thick piece of glass instead of the aforementioned acrylic.

I really doubt that removing the thin center brace will change the light much.

Even If you do remove the center plastic and place a clear piece, you would just add to the tank maintenance, since it will cake up with humidity\muck and algae in no time.

halffrozen 12-12-2012 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeGREEEN (Post 2107298)
Is the tank acrylic with plastic outer bracing?

If its glass then you need to place a thick piece of glass instead of the aforementioned acrylic.

I really doubt that removing the thin center brace will change the light much.

Even If you do remove the center plastic and place a clear piece, you would just add to the tank maintenance, since it will cake up with humidity\muck and algae in no time.

It is mostly for FTS's..

Kind of petty... I know.. lol

JoeGREEEN 12-12-2012 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halffrozen (Post 2107302)
It is mostly for FTS's..

:confused1: the only FTS i know about is (explicative) this (explicative) :confused1:

sowNreap 12-12-2012 06:26 AM

Try searching for cross brace. I got a lot of results using that term when I was looking at buying used aquariums and wanted to know how much trouble/cost to fix one that didn't have it.

Got lots of results about how to replace it using glass/silicone with suggestions on glass thickness & size or doing euro style bracing instead.

halffrozen 12-12-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeGREEEN (Post 2107305)
:confused1: the only FTS i know about is (explicative) this (explicative) :confused1:

Full Tank Shot.

:icon_roll

JoeGREEEN 12-12-2012 02:43 PM

ahhh these yung hipsters with their slick acronyms:/

Quote:

Originally Posted by halffrozen (Post 2107493)
Full Tank Shot.

:icon_roll

:icon_redfOh thats a first for me, I guess I'm not as old as I used to be:redface:

Hoppy 12-12-2012 05:22 PM

For full tank shots (FTS) you can just make a duplicate of your photo, then use Photoshop to adjust the exposure of the shaded portion and patch that portion into the original shot - eliminating the shading. It's a lot easier than replacing the brace. If you have a Mac, as I do, you can do this with iPhoto and Pages - easier than Photoshop.

dbosman@msu.edu 12-13-2012 01:51 AM

The center brace is there to help keep thinner glass tanks from bursting.
Replacing it isn't easy unless you find a better adhesive or solvent than most people can acquire.

Using something to photoshop your pictures would be safer.

captnphil 12-13-2012 02:24 AM

You can remove the brace and replace it with an Euro-Brace
You can omit the 2 end braces as you will leave the brace all around

pweifan 12-13-2012 03:23 AM

My old 75 gallon had a 12" wide 1/2" thick section of glass in the middle. I can say that Joe is correct in that it collects gunk. That said, I'd still rather keep the center piece clean than have my tank's light split in half by an opaque center brace.

JoeGREEEN 12-13-2012 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pweifan (Post 2108257)
My old 75 gallon had a 12" wide 1/2" thick section of glass in the middle.

Did this tank have any other bracing besides the 12" wide (plastic rim brace perhaps)

I could understand using 1/2" glass but 12" wide that's allot

pweifan 12-13-2012 03:38 AM

It had the typical plastic brace round the perimeters, but that was all that used in the middle.

sowNreap 12-13-2012 06:30 AM

I wonder if that 12" brace was either a repair or someone removed the brace because they didn't like it and put that one on instead. The brace on my 75 gal is only 3" wide. Never saw one 12" wide. But did see mention of making a repair using really wide piece of glass. Did you buy the tank new that way?

halffrozen 12-13-2012 02:57 PM

I have seen quite a few 75's like that.

They are mostly on the regular black or wooden support frames... with caulking/sealant holding the glass piece to the frame.

I was hoping for another solution, since it is 12"... that would make things very difficult to move things around...