The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Planted Nano Tanks (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Rusty's GLA 36-L First Iwagumi Build (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=200144)

AUvet14 12-11-2012 09:43 PM

Rusty's GLA 36-L First Iwagumi Build
 
This is my first nano tank, first rimless tank, first iwagumi build. This should be exciting. :)

Here's what I've got so far:

GLA 36-L (36 x 22 x 26cm)
Eheim 2211
16'' Finnex Ray 2 LED (7000K White)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8356/8...078fc062_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8...58a363a9d3.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8200/8...95ef90132c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8340/8...9e6b305428.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8499/8...39458601b1.jpg

I have 27lbs of Seiryu stone on the way, hopefully will get here tomorrow. That should give me plenty of stones to choose from. I plan to use ADA Aquasoil Amazonia powder type for the substrate. I'm waiting for either AFA or ADG to get the 3L bags back in stock. I don't currently have a stand or anything to put it on but I plan to go out in the next few weeks looking for something relatively inexpensive that I can use as a stand. I will be getting the Cal Aqua Labs 13mm nano fluxus filter pipes. I'll be using a GLA inline atomic diffuser and I'll also be getting some sort of manifold to allow me to run CO2 on this tank and my 30 gal both from my GLA Atomic V3 regulator with 5lb CO2 cylinder.

daitran89 12-11-2012 09:53 PM

Nice start ^^

Green_Flash 12-11-2012 09:57 PM

Sounds exciting. :)

Brian_Cali77 12-11-2012 11:25 PM

Dang that low iron glass and really white LED's just make that tank look like a setup that just screams POTENTIAL! I think I'm gonna have to get that tank/fixture... Oh wait...I did! Welcome to the club :)

AUvet14 12-11-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 (Post 2106922)
Dang that low iron glass and really white LED's just make that tank look like a setup that just screams POTENTIAL! I think I'm gonna have to get that tank/fixture... Oh wait...I did! Welcome to the club :)

Haha. Thanks. :) And thanks for helping me decide which light to go with. HOLY COW! It weighs absolutely nothing. I picked it up and it was literally like picking up a feather. Lol. I checked the email I got when my stones shipped. They should get here either tomorrow or Thursday. Apparently I had the estimated delivery date wrong. lol. Too bad I won't get to start setting this up until after the new year.

Brian_Cali77 12-11-2012 11:35 PM

You know for a relatively inexpensive stand, I've ran across a lot of threads by Mini-M owners who use those ClosetMaid cabinets found at Target. I was gonna get one but decided to use my Ikea file cabinet since i decided to place my nano tank next to my desk.

There are other options at Target and Ikea, but here's an example...
http://m.target.com/p/closetmaid-2-d...o/-/A-11187095

AUvet14 12-11-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 (Post 2106932)
You know for a relatively inexpensive stand, I've ran across a lot of threads by Mini-M owners who use those ClosetMaid cabinets found at Target. I was gonna get one but decided to use my Ikea file cabinet since i decided to place my nano tank next to my desk.

There are other options at Target and Ikea, but here's an example...
http://m.target.com/p/closetmaid-2-d...o/-/A-11187095

Hmmm. Interesting. I need a shelf for my dvd's so I was gonna see if I could find something that would work for that and function as a stand. That looks like it would work pretty well though. Thanks :)

AUvet14 12-12-2012 12:00 AM

Actually, that looks like it would work perfectly. :) Might have to go pick one up. I'm still trying to figure out where I want to put it. Lol.

beedee 12-12-2012 12:02 AM

This is gonna be goooood! Keep us posted!

Green_Flash 12-12-2012 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUvet14 (Post 2106821)
I don't currently have a stand or anything to put it on but I plan to go out in the next few weeks looking for something relatively inexpensive that I can use as a stand.

Yeah, I notice a distinct lack of nice stands here in the US.

AUvet14 12-12-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green_Flash (Post 2107253)
Yeah, I notice a distinct lack of nice stands here in the US.

Nope. That's why I built one for my 30 gallon :) http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187506 I could put something together for this one, but I feel like something like a side table or that cabinet would do just fine, as it would serve the purpose and wouldn't draw the eye from the focus (the aquarium). No need for anything fancy. With my 30 gallon, I built the stand so that it added to the overall display of the aquarium.

AUvet14 12-13-2012 11:31 PM

Well, I picked up something for the stand today. I was a little unsure of the weight-bearing capacity, so I tested it. I think this photo might serve as proof of its weight-bearing ability. What do you think? Lol.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8482/8...581363dc_c.jpg

Green_Flash 12-14-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUvet14 (Post 2107273)
Nope. That's why I built one for my 30 gallon :) http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187506 I could put something together for this one, but I feel like something like a side table or that cabinet would do just fine, as it would serve the purpose and wouldn't draw the eye from the focus (the aquarium). No need for anything fancy. With my 30 gallon, I built the stand so that it added to the overall display of the aquarium.


I was talking about the prebuilt offerings, cheap particle board stuff, flimsy and ugly.

I look for clean minimalistic style stands that fit the tank seamless like Euro and Asian style. Only ADA and Elos fit those requirements.

AUvet14 12-14-2012 12:18 AM

Ah, well, while it's a nice-looking style, I don't want to spend money on one for a small tank like this. I am perfectly happy with something inexpensive that will do the job. Perhaps after I finish school I can build an ADA style stand. Until then, this should work just fine. :)

Sent from my HTC One S

AUvet14 12-15-2012 12:06 AM

Well, here's the beginning of my light stand. Both Lowe's and Home Depot wouldn't cut or bend the pipe for me, so I had to buy a conduit bender and I plan on returning it, undamaged, tomorrow. :) lol. I don't have a pipe cutter and I wasn't going to buy one since I couldn't return that. I will just have to find someone with one I can borrow. I will shorten this by at least 2 and a half feet, maybe 3 feet, but this should give you an idea of how it looks. I will also cut off a piece of the horizontal arm so it doesn't look so long. Let me know what you think. :)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8345/8...269ffda67f.jpg http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8501/8...b975666c0c.jpg


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.