The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Assassin snails laying TONS of eggs! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=199911)

Casperhito 12-09-2012 09:22 PM

Assassin snails laying TONS of eggs!

The giant rams horns also have laid 2 batches of eggs. The bladder snails are disappearing and being replaced by Snell rams horns. Luckily those are a five of the assassin snails. For some reason they haven't touched the MTS but I like those guys. There are literally dozens of assassin eggs all over the filter and even more in the roots of the java fern. Anyone know how long till they hatch? The oldest eggs are 3 weeks old.

Sent using voodoo through my phone to your retinas.

Crob5965 12-09-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casperhito (Post 2104583)
The giant rams horns also have laid 2 batches of eggs. The bladder snails are disappearing and being replaced by Snell rams horns. Luckily those are a five of the assassin snails. For some reason they haven't touched the MTS but I like those guys. There are literally dozens of assassin eggs all over the filter and even more in the roots of the java fern. Anyone know how long till they hatch? The oldest eggs are 3 weeks old.

couldn't tell you how long the eggs take to hatch but if your looking to get rid of some when they do I'm always looking for a couple more assassins

Crob5965 12-09-2012 09:41 PM

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=110623

I found this Forum might find your answer there

Casperhito 12-09-2012 10:25 PM

Thanks for the link. I will let ya know when I have too many.

Casperhito 12-09-2012 10:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some of the Assassin eggs laid on the filter. Also here is a clump of Giant Ramshorn eggs.

Crob5965 12-09-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casperhito (Post 2104654)
Thanks for the link. I will let ya know when I have too many.

Sounds good I hope to be hearing from you soon

Casperhito 12-09-2012 10:41 PM

Just noticed around 8 more eggs on the heater clip and rubber end. Also found another clump of GRH eggs. Plus the MTS are breeding prolifically. Gonna have to do a snail RAOK in the near future.

Hmoobthor 12-09-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casperhito (Post 2104671)
Just noticed around 8 more eggs on the heater clip and rubber end. Also found another clump of GRH eggs. Plus the MTS are breeding prolifically. Gonna have to do a snail RAOK in the near future.

i notice assassin lay egg pretty much all the time in my tank...

got tons of baby assassin now almost to a good size..1/8-1/4"....some are a bit smaller...they growing fast

the eggs will hatch but you won't see any baby until they grow a bit

Crob5965 12-10-2012 12:21 AM

Just did some research on it seeing as you sparked my interest and found 6-10 eggs on my italian Vals where my assassin always burrows down during the day
My tank is set to 84-86 I think they have been there for a week or 2 just didnt know what they were

Crob5965 12-10-2012 12:21 AM

Just did some research on it seeing as you sparked my interest and found 6-10 eggs on my italian Vals where my assassin always burrows down during the day
My tank is set to 84-86 I think they have been there for a week or 2 just didnt know what they were

Casperhito 12-10-2012 12:57 AM

Awesome! My tank is at 76 and have eggs from 3 weeks and 2 weeks ago. It will be interesting to see if temp affects hatching times.

Sake 12-10-2012 01:13 AM

Yeah I started out with 5 assassins now I can count 63. That isn't including the ones buried in the sand. Once you run out of live food they'll stop laying eggs, or at least mine did. I have another tank full of mts, once I set up my 29 gallon and move the assassins and shrimp over there I'll start feeding them again.

Crob5965 12-10-2012 01:51 AM

i'm interested to see what happens I have to break down my tanks in January to move to the East coast hopefully they will hatch by then

wicca27 12-10-2012 05:09 AM

yeah i wouldnt be sending any of the giant rams horn snails or eggs they are illegal to cross state lines (columbian rams horn)

dmagerl 12-10-2012 04:03 PM

MY experience is that they take months to hatch.

I bought a pair of them last September and within days I had dozens of eggs. It's only recently that the eggs have been disappearing. I've seen a few empty egg sacs too. I have yet to see any baby snails though.