The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rimless Tank Cover Brackets? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=199861)

AndyS 12-09-2012 02:47 PM

Rimless Tank Cover Brackets?

I've got an Eheim Aquastyle 9. I've just started adding some Amano shrimp after a fishless cycle, and have found a problem. With the in tank filter located in the corner, the shrimp have been climbing up out of the water to the edge. I've lost one already that somehow escaped and made it across 10 foot of carpet only to die in my kitchen.

I've had the glass top on, but since I've got a heater with a fairly thick cable, the lid will not sit flat on the top as this one is designed. I'm thinking about buying a 12x12 piece of lexan/acrylic at Home Depot or Lowes and cutting it to fit with notches for the needed equipment that would still allow for a pretty flush fit. But I'm also trying to decide if there's a better way to support the top inside the rim of the tank instead of on top. This is also important since there are 12"x12" sheets available, where the stock glass top is a bit bigger to actually sit on top (12.25x12.25 or so).

I found some ADA rim brackets made from clear plastic for $10.50 shipped off of ebay, but I'm wondering if there are any other options I can make or buy locally that anybody's figured out. Often solutions are already there that some creative person has already found.

The front corners of this tank are curved, but it looks like the ADA brackets are made to handle that.

Any other suggestions short of replacing the top are welcome, too.

daworldisblack 12-10-2012 04:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 58629

I had an issue with the glass top having condensation and blocking light so I decided to make my own top using screen mesh (the aluminum one looks inline with the rimless look as opposed to the fibreglass ones). If I had the clear plastic mesh, I'd have used that. Bulk Reef Supply has them available. For the frame, I got some stainless steel rods from the hardware store. Can't remember the size exactly but 2ft of it was perfect for bending it around the rim. I think this would work great to accommodate other equipment like your heater for example. I made a hole for my co2 tube to go through as you can see in the top part of the pic just beside the filter. Likewise you could probably bend a lil notch into the frame to accommodate your chord. At the end of the day, it'll sit flush ( its supposed to unless you get the bending angles off a little).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

AndyS 12-10-2012 12:39 PM

Interesting. I wonder how much light that blocks?

I've seen mesh used on reef tanks before to keep jumpers in.

daworldisblack 12-10-2012 02:43 PM

I read on one of the forum threads in the 'Lighting' section that for a T5bulb, window screen decreases 30% PAR or something along those lines. Not sure if that same info would be applicable here.