The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Can I get a fish ID please ?? :) (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=199841)

xiaxia 12-09-2012 02:52 AM

Can I get a fish ID please ?? :)

Was sold as a honey gourami but i'm not entirely sure it is. Thanks for any help !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...3/DSC_0023.jpg

rodcuda 12-09-2012 02:53 AM

That seems to be correct.

xiaxia 12-09-2012 02:56 AM

oh I guess. :P when i google it there's so many different colored ones. just making sure. thanks.

LB79 12-09-2012 05:57 AM

Yeah. That one looks really young.

xiaxia 12-09-2012 06:26 AM

Oh it seems that this is a yellow variety of the honey gourami.

xiaxia 12-09-2012 11:02 PM

Oh does anyone know when sexing them it says that the female has a horizontal line across her body. i bought what seem tot be a pair but the line a seem to have disappeared. Does that happen? Or is it because it is not 'happy' ?

Hmoobthor 12-09-2012 11:08 PM

abino honey

msjinkzd 12-09-2012 11:26 PM

not albino-

that is a honey gourami.
The females do get lateral brown lines when in breeding dress, the males get a black throat.

james1542 12-11-2012 02:57 AM

Fish can change colors in seconds, I've never kept the honey gourami, but I don't think it means they are unhappy if they lose the stripe.

xiaxia 12-11-2012 06:02 AM

@^@ i just get so confused when i stare at them.

hopefully they are a pair :)
they bicker a lot though :/

Diana 12-11-2012 06:28 AM

Look at the dorsal fin.
In many Gouramis the male has a longer dorsal fin, and somewhat pointed to sharply pointed. The female has a more rounded dorsal fin.
You can google some images and see the difference.
You will see different colors of fish. The original Honey Gourami males are the ones with the black throat, and yellow dorsal fin. "Throat" can be almost all the head and way down to the lower fin. But if he is faded out you can still see where the black would be, it is sort of grey, not orange. Look at the dorsal fin. It has a point, but is not long and drawn out like some other species.
Most of the pictures of the females do not show the horizontal stripe, but find some and look at that dorsal fin. Not a lot of difference from the male, but a bit shorter. Enough that if they are in the same tank you could tell.

Gouramis are territorial, and can get aggressive toward each other. Even a male and female may not get along.
Honey Gouramis are usually more easy going than some other species, but you might have some that are more pushy than average, or too small a tank for them to get away far enough from each other.
You might also have 2 males. They will not get along.

There are several color varieties. I think they are hybrids with another species. Some are more red, not really orange, and some are pale, like the female Honey Gourami. Most of these do not show the horizontal stripe, or the intense color of the male. Most of these do not have a black area.

Yes, that stripe can come and go. The fish has control over the coloring.

Grifter 12-11-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaxia (Post 2106294)
@^@ i just get so confused when i stare at them.

hopefully they are a pair :)
they bicker a lot though :/

I have a breeding pair of yellow honeys , If it helps the male will get a real dark black bid under the throat and will look more orange on the fins , Female is a duller yellow with a somethings faint brownish line down the middle.

Grifter

xiaxia 12-11-2012 09:15 AM

In the picture you can actually seen the 'female' with the stripe down the middle to the left of the wood. I have observed both of their dorsal fins and it seems like they are the same. maybe I'll try and get some new pictures of the two.

msjinkzd 12-11-2012 12:37 PM

ah! I hadn't noticed her, yes, that is a pair. Good luck with them :)

xiaxia 12-11-2012 06:57 PM

i hope so ! i've been staring at their dorsal fins for like 20 mins > < can't distinguish them. i'm thinking they might be 2 females and the the one without a stripe just 'lost' it before i purchased it. i don't see a hint of a black throat on any of them. BUT i'm still keeping my hopes up.

thanks for everyone's input (: