The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (
-   -   Will the red cherry shrimp survive? (

Kinection 12-08-2012 12:23 AM

Will the red cherry shrimp survive?
I was wondering if red cherry shrimp could survive without a heater
or filter in a 10 gallon tank? The pregnant shrimp I bought gave birth, and the shrimplets keep getting out of the breeder net. There will be plants in there and the temperature here is 74F usually in the day, but 50-65F at night. Will they survive?

ravensgate 12-08-2012 01:28 AM

I've had mine survive with 4 weeks with no filter. I only added a filter because the water got murky as all get out. And they survive fine without a heater. Mine are currently surviving, thriving and breeding at 68 degrees. There's no reason your tank should dip to 50 degrees at night unless its outside. My tank is right next to a window and it's been in the 20s here and the tank dips to 66 on those nights.

Kinection 12-08-2012 01:49 AM

I'll be keeping them in my living room then! And can they die
from not enough oxygen? Btw, can you feed them a carrot
in a bowl that you boiled using a microwave?

Hmoobthor 12-08-2012 01:52 AM

yes,,,cherry don't really need heater..i keep mine at room temp 64-68 ...cold around here

randyl 12-08-2012 03:02 PM

My fire red tank gets to as low as 60F, it's okay. Although your room temp is 50-76 but the temperature in a 10G tank won't fluctuate as much, likely will be 60-65 range. My fire reds still breed and babies are okay too, they grow/breed much slower than when the temp was 74 in the summer though.

No filter will be a bigger problem though, the ammonia/nitrite and to a lesser extend, nitrate, will eventually kill them. Even if they don't get killed, permanent damage can be caused if they stay in that environment for too long.

Kinection 12-08-2012 04:28 PM

Yea I'll just be keeping them in there until they get
big enough not to fit in my guppies' mouths, then they
will go to the 30 gal. I'm going to see if some survive
if I make tiny hiding spots for them, like how I did it for
the fry. :)