The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   BKK gave birth and NO babies anywhere. (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=199576)

pinoyghost2 12-06-2012 08:56 PM

BKK gave birth and NO babies anywhere.

OK I put my BKK in the breeders box and a couple of days ago she was hugely berried, then yesterday I noticed she wasn't anymore, so thought OK start looking for baby BKKs...I figured they were going to be mostly black as all the eggs were black.

I searched that breeders box back to front and top to bottom with light and magnifier, and NO babies anywhere. They could not escape thru the grate as I have filter foam behind the grate and they would not get thru that too small holes.

So I am led to believe she may have had them during the night and made a snack of them, or they just didn't survive and she and the snail ate them up.

I have her back in the main tank now so hopefully she will get berried again soon. Still have the CWB and BB and Snow white to go yet, but I was sooooo looking forward to baby BKKs. :(

acitydweller 12-06-2012 09:13 PM

woah... could they have escaped through the breeder box return flow (assuming its external)? ive had babys do that....

AVN 12-06-2012 09:16 PM

Dropped eggz?

pinoyghost2 12-06-2012 09:17 PM

Yay....I was just looking in the tank right now about to empty out the breeder box and saw something move....got the magnifier out and would you believe it....a tiny and I mean tiny blue panda....here I was looking for black shrimps and forgot that some of the BKK are born blue and then change to black.

If there is one, there could be more, so I put in an airstone and small moss ball and some earthworm powder for the baby/s to eat. :)

eco 12-06-2012 09:17 PM

No babies in the main tank? The babies could not have been eaten by her or the snail! Oh! Never mind! Congrats :)

sbarbee54 12-06-2012 09:25 PM

Where do you get your earthworm powder

pinoyghost2 12-06-2012 10:16 PM

I bought a big bag of it at a fish auction. Don't know the make, no name on the bag, but I have fed it to my Tibee and CRS babies from birth and all are growing extremely well...didn't lose any of them. Great stuff.

I mix it with water from the tank, then squirt it in with a tiny syringe, not a lot at a time. I sometimes add gravidas to the mix and mix it well then squirt that in. Female berried shrimps like it too.

steven p 12-06-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarbee54 (Post 2101673)
Where do you get your earthworm powder

you can get it at walmart by the fishing stuff, usually near or with a foam box and worm bedding.

Option 12-06-2012 11:38 PM

Earthworm powder...interesting. Is this stuff clean to toss into a shrimp/fish tank?

Hmoobthor 12-06-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steven p (Post 2101775)
you can get it at walmart by the fishing stuff, usually near or with a foam box and worm bedding.

i thought that was earthworm food... for earthworm breeding..lol

steven p 12-07-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hmoobthor (Post 2101793)
i thought that was earthworm food... for earthworm breeding..lol

it's the only "worm powder" i can think of... 12% crude protein, 1% fat 6% fiber.. consists of: grain products, plant protein products, animal protein products, grain by products, calcium carbonate and dicalcium phosphate...

pinoyghost2 12-07-2012 12:04 AM

Not sure that's the same stuff as I have. Mine is a very fine powder, chocolate brown in color, no smell and nothing else added.

sbarbee54 12-07-2012 12:09 AM

True earthworm powder is 45-65% crude protein

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Overgrowth 12-07-2012 12:40 AM

Congrats on hatching the babies :P

steven p 12-07-2012 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinoyghost2 (Post 2101821)
Not sure that's the same stuff as I have. Mine is a very fine powder, chocolate brown in color, no smell and nothing else added.

The stuff i have is pale, tan.. dusty, finer than flour... no noticable smell.. the worms didnt seem to care for it much...