The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Plants (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   HC carpet Plan--Doomed? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=199559)

teatimecrumpet 12-06-2012 06:25 PM

HC carpet Plan--Doomed?

Hi,

I'm new to planted tanks and aquariums. But hopefully will be receiving HC from gordonrichards soon.

I was going to go the moss and anubias route but then came across HC.

What are you thoughts on the success of this:
  • I plan to plant HC in carbisea eco-complete (2.5"-3"). I know it's not sand but would it work anyway?
  • Have it emersed and covered with saran wrap. (I wouldn't cover the top of the tank but would lay a piece of saran wrap over it doing my best to have the saran adhere to the sides as much as possible.
  • Lightly spraying daily with a 50/50 solution of this fertilizer keeping it moist but not pooling: http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-06023-A...ium+fertilizer
  • Then after a month if it's still alive add water to tank about an 1" a day.
  • Then use a diffuser to pump CO2 into the water from a diy yeast reactor once it's all sumberged?
  • Not sure on my lighting right now.
Thanks

HybridHerp 12-06-2012 06:31 PM

sounds good
although, when I dry started it, all I did was have it in dirt capped with sand and then misted it, with my lighting only being the sun outside. Worked great until I did a stupid and got the whole thing covered in algae and then ended up killing it when trying to get rid of algae, but your plan should work :D

just make sure you have ample lighting and you should be fine.

Darkblade48 12-06-2012 07:09 PM

Some points I would like to touch upon:

I would use saran wrap to cover the top of the aquarium. You can try to put the saran wrap closer to substrate level and have it stick to the sides, but you may find this will not work that well.

Once your carpet has grown and filled in to your desire, rather than adding water 1" at a time, just flood the aquarium all at once.

teatimecrumpet 12-06-2012 07:41 PM

Thanks guys,

Noticed you guys are in my time zone in the north. Since it's winter do you think I have to worry about air temps? My house would be around 65 degrees Fahrenheit.

I was going to put the saran wrap down at the bottom because if I put on the hood I was afraid the saran wrap would melt. I have a table that gets ok afternoon direct sun for a few hours would that much light work? Would it overheat?

How do I avoid algae growth when emersed?

steven p 12-06-2012 07:44 PM

also, a dusting of some sort of dirt or potting mix will be appreciated by the plants. part of why my first dry start failed. eco-complete has got some awesome qualities, but doesn't have much in the way of a long term nutrient supply.

steven p 12-06-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teatimecrumpet (Post 2101530)
Thanks guys,

Noticed you guys are in my time zone in the north. Since it's winter do you think I have to worry about air temps? My house would be around 65 degrees Fahrenheit.

I was going to put the saran wrap down at the bottom because if I put on the hood I was afraid the saran wrap would melt. I have a table that gets ok afternoon direct sun for a few hours would that much light work? Would it overheat?

How do I avoid algae growth when emersed?

i think it is a tropical plant(hc"cuba"? idk..), and you may want to grab a cheap under-tank heat mat(zoomed has some terrarium heaters that are paper thin, but are marked to NOT be near water) to warm the substrate.

i elevated the corners(pink erasers should work) and simply set the mat under the tank and turned it on. the tank was always super humid, and i believe the heat currents circulate water at the roots.

Jonnywhoop 12-06-2012 08:02 PM

i dry started my HC for 3 months. it created a nice thick carpet. Since its been flooded, it hasnt really grown much, but it is healthy and alive. I dont dose in this tank, just co2 as this is my CRS tank. Just use saran wrap and mist it with tap water. be careful not to saturate it too much, you dont want any puddles in the tank. goodluck