The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Equipment (
-   -   Regulator - Cylinder seal (

reel1090 12-05-2012 07:08 PM

Regulator - Cylinder seal
I am using a Milwaukee co2 regulator and am trying to find a washer that will fit between the cylinder and the regulator. The ones I found on the internet said: "Not for use with the Milwaukee regulator".

exv152 12-05-2012 07:37 PM

Check this thread out

reel1090 12-05-2012 07:51 PM

Thanks exv152,:)
That is exactly what I am looking for.

kevmo911 12-06-2012 01:17 AM

Only because I've never seen it mentioned...

I accidentally cracked the flange of a Milwaukee nipple awhile back, while tightening it against a permaseal (I tried one this once, and will never do so again - standard nylon washers are dirt cheap and work flawlessly). I drank myself into a stupor out of frustration ...and several weeks later, had the presence of mind to wonder if the rest of the flange could simply be chipped off. 5 minutes of experimentation with a chisel and hammer left me with a (very) roughly flat surface, and I used that regulator for several months afterward with a couple (I refilled the cylinder) nylon washers.

I've since upgraded my regulator - a couple of times - and am happy I did. But that flange is just an annoyance, which can be dealt with via simple tools combined with brute force.

fishyjoe24 12-07-2012 05:45 AM

so if I just bought a used 2.5 cylinder and used Milwaukee regulator. it's not a good ideal to use the perm-a-seals, or is it again Ideal. since it's used I want to put a new washer on it, and was going to put it on a 29g quick will be heavy planted, and wondering how long it will last.

kevmo911 12-07-2012 12:44 PM

Don't try to use a permaseal. Contact Milwaukee for a some washers.

In a pinch, you can probably use a regular seal, but it's not something I'd recommend.

If the reg comes with a proprietary Milwaukee washer, you can re-use that for now. Just tighten it down hard.

danakin 12-08-2012 03:23 AM

The other option is to go to a welding/gas supply shop like Airgas/Praxair and get a new CGA 320 nipple without the raised face. It should run about 10 bucks and some teflon tape. You simply* take off the old nipple and install the new one. Connect up to your cylinder with a regular 320 seal washer and leak check.

*I say "simply," however this may not be the case if the nipple was threadlocked really well in to the regulator body.

fishyjoe24 12-08-2012 07:34 AM

thanks I'll contact them.

kevmo911 12-08-2012 08:00 AM

See if you can remove the nipple before you bother contacting anybody about a new nipple. Unless my 3M clone (currently in front of me) is dramatically different from the Milwaukee, there are no flat surfaces to use a wrench on, and it's not even clear that the nipple is attached via threads of any sort (size or standard), aside from a hairline crack between nipple and regulator body.

In short, I believe it's a one-piece unit, and there's no possibility of replacing the nipple. But I could be wrong.

In any case, even if it's possible to replace the nipple, getting Milwaukee to send you a couple of proprietary washers is still the cheapest option.