The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Plants (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Wisteria dying but nothing else (suddenly) (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=199449)

Shimagoma 12-05-2012 03:29 PM

Wisteria dying but nothing else (suddenly)
 
I moved my 10gal recently to work, replaced a bulb added CO2 and ferts and then BOOM my dwarf hairgrass took off BUT my wisteria which grows like CRAZY in all of my other tanks is dying suddenly? Its my fave plant and i usually have no problem with it at all but the edges are turning brown the growth is pale stunted and it is just withering away (curling up like it got baked?) Im not sure what I have done to it, everything else is looking fine, so I upped the ferts a hair and trimmed things back to help promote growth but nothing so far.

the tank has trumpet snails for aeration, there is soil underneath (that is less than a year old) for ferts and I add to the water. I have little to no algae and nothing I do seems to be helping the plants. Suggestions? Ideas?
halp!

also as a side note, no melting, the leaves are not transparent or soft, they look just like a tomato plant that was left in the sun too long? Can you some how burn the plant? the light shouldnt be too high (if anything it should be too low...)

thanks!

urbguy 12-05-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimagoma (Post 2100155)
I moved my 10gal recently to work, replaced a bulb added CO2 and ferts and then BOOM my dwarf hairgrass took off BUT my wisteria which grows like CRAZY in all of my other tanks is dying suddenly? Its my fave plant and i usually have no problem with it at all but the edges are turning brown the growth is pale stunted and it is just withering away (curling up like it got baked?) Im not sure what I have done to it, everything else is looking fine, so I upped the ferts a hair and trimmed things back to help promote growth but nothing so far.

the tank has trumpet snails for aeration, there is soil underneath (that is less than a year old) for ferts and I add to the water. I have little to no algae and nothing I do seems to be helping the plants. Suggestions? Ideas?
halp!

also as a side note, no melting, the leaves are not transparent or soft, they look just like a tomato plant that was left in the sun too long? Can you some how burn the plant? the light shouldnt be too high (if anything it should be too low...)

thanks!

Transporting and replanting problems? Thats one thing I can think of; however, there is another instance... In college, my girlfriend and I had a 10 gallon tank that had only wisteria. It's one hell of a plant, we didn't add any additives to the tank and it grew like wildfire. I did notice that wisteria has a limited lifespan. After about 6-8 months, after it's reached it's most beautiful peak, I did notice that my plant did exactly what you're describing.

Shimagoma 12-05-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbguy (Post 2100176)
Transporting and replanting problems? Thats one thing I can think of; however, there is another instance... In college, my girlfriend and I had a 10 gallon tank that had only wisteria. It's one hell of a plant, we didn't add any additives to the tank and it grew like wildfire. I did notice that wisteria has a limited lifespan. After about 6-8 months, after it's reached it's most beautiful peak, I did notice that my plant did exactly what you're describing.

gah! Maybe I should take some tops from my 30gal? That one is doing PERFECT (if not too perfect heh) Ill bring a bundle from the home tank that is nice and fresh and i spose that would be a good way to test for deficiencies and things of the sort?

might be time to clean it out and do some replanting

urbguy 12-05-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimagoma (Post 2100184)
gah! Maybe I should take some tops from my 30gal? That one is doing PERFECT (if not too perfect heh) Ill bring a bundle from the home tank that is nice and fresh and i spose that would be a good way to test for deficiencies and things of the sort?

might be time to clean it out and do some replanting

Also, did you mess with the ones your brought to your work tank, like root trimming? We often times think this plant is a super plant (it really is), thinking we can do anything and it'll still survive.

Shimagoma 12-05-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbguy (Post 2100189)
Also, did you mess with the ones your brought to your work tank, like root trimming? We often times think this plant is a super plant (it really is), thinking we can do anything and it'll still survive.

well the work tank was the parent tank of all my wisteria plants, so the idea that it might just be too old now might be true. I trimmed a few roots and thinned it but other than that nothing has changed hmmm...


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.