The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-equipment/)
-   -   Trust U- tube advise??? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-equipment/199447-trust-u-tube-advise.html)

PlantedRich 12-05-2012 03:16 PM

Trust U- tube advise???
 
This is an exaMPLE OF WHY u-TUBERS should not be trusted. Watch it and see if there's anything wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq-vXJ4dOYc

5BodyBlade 12-05-2012 04:11 PM

Did he say if he has well water or city water? I have rinsed bio media in my well water before with no issues. Just saying.

NWA-Planted 12-05-2012 04:13 PM

Maybe once again a missing something but he rinsed the mechanical filtration... ? Or do those things not have room for like bio balls, rings etc...? Not familiar with eheims

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place

m00se 12-05-2012 04:30 PM

There's a ton of biomedia that was under the fine pad that he took out 2nd. Also looks like some kind of Britta-like device on the faucet which he might think is removing the chlorine as he's using it...

NWA-Planted 12-05-2012 04:39 PM

Yea but he he didn't rinse any of the bio media then, just the pad, what little bit of water dechlorinated or not would be on the pad wouldn't destroy the bacteria not to mention as soon as it's kicked on it would flush it all through

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place

jarvitron 12-05-2012 04:46 PM

This thread is a prime example of why I don't rely upon or trust any internet advice, this forum included. Snark and invective are not proof you are right, they are simply proof that you want others to agree with you. This has nothing to do with equipment, it is a pretty lazy op/ed that should go under general discussion.

creekbottom 12-05-2012 04:49 PM

I'm not familiar with the Ecco's, I have a classic. Did he shut the valves first, then unplug it?! And then partially open the lid when it was hooked up and running?!

tiggity 12-05-2012 05:32 PM

Am I missing something? I don't really see anything wrong. The foam pads were rinsed in tap water but the bio media was untouched.

Seems like a nice reference video on how to maintain the filter, but not necessarily THE definitive guide.

KrazyFish 12-05-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarvitron (Post 2100238)
This thread is a prime example of why I don't rely upon or trust any internet advice, this forum included. Snark and invective are not proof you are right, they are simply proof that you want others to agree with you. This has nothing to do with equipment, it is a pretty lazy op/ed that should go under general discussion.

What?

GeToChKn 12-05-2012 06:30 PM

Has anyone ever done a test using regular tap water to wash off some biomedia and tested to see that 100% of your bacteria were killed off? Probably not.

Is chlorine bad, yes? Will it kill your entire filter rinsing it off in tap water? That part is probably more debatable.

When I kept turtles, I know a turtle keeper who had a big stock metal tube and 3 Rena filters just filled with sponges and pads. A few times a year he would break it down and hose it all down, having a snapping turtle in it, they get messy and never had a problem with cycles, spikes, etc. He posted an interesting article about actually showing the resistance of the bacteria that grows in our tanks and filters, I will try and find it again.

I know we are under the need "dechlor in our tap water" or it will kill your entire filter sort of idea, but I'm not sure how much it has been proven or just something that's better to dechlorinate for the sake of the fish but really doesn't affect our biofiltration to a huge extent, I'm not sure.

Fishies_in_Philly 12-05-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlantedRich (Post 2100146)
This is an exaMPLE OF WHY u-TUBERS should not be trusted. Watch it and see if there's anything wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq-vXJ4dOYc

I'm not quite sure what you saw to get your cockles up, but i saw a guy clean his filter the same way j have been cleaning mine for 30 years.

exv152 12-05-2012 06:46 PM

How do those sayings go?

"There's more than one way to skin a cat, or six of one half dozen of the other, or eat drink and be merry."

wkndracer 12-05-2012 07:17 PM

This thread reads like one post to many :icon_roll

PlantedRich 12-05-2012 08:20 PM

Okay, so I've let this cook a while just to see what you all think of when you clean your filter. I've been in several discussions about how to do it and this one U-tube brings it all down to what I feel is a big problem with canister filters.

It's pretty obvious that a lot of users assume they know how and they ---

NEVER READ the directions!

Just think what a dull place a forum would be if users read the directions and avoided having trouble with their canisters!

My point is that one should read the directions before going to U-tube. The guy that built it likely knows what it takes to make it work well and last as long as possible. The U-tube may not.

NWA-Planted 12-05-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlantedRich (Post 2100486)
Okay, so I've let this cook a while just to see what you all think of when you clean your filter. I've been in several discussions about how to do it and this one U-tube brings it all down to what I feel is a big problem with canister filters.

It's pretty obvious that a lot of users assume they know how and they ---

NEVER READ the directions!

Just think what a dull place a forum would be if users read the directions and avoided having trouble with their canisters!

My point is that one should read the directions before going to U-tube. The guy that built it likely knows what it takes to make it work well and last as long as possible. The U-tube may not.

Huh...?

So the guy on youtube did what wrong?

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.